Question about Squamosa

Discussion in 'Clams' started by PackLeader, Jan 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Just a quick question: How fast do they grow?

2. Click Here!

3. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I have read that they grow very fast and get very big, like 12"-15"!

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I've heard that they actually get bigger, like 16-18". I've been wanting to get a clam, but the potential size is a turn-off, specially with my 40 :-/. But I always have seen people keeping them in similar sized tanks, even nano's, so I was wondering if the growth rates are nice and slow. :-/

5. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I guess if I remember right, part of the reason for rapid growth is that they require fairly little light (as far as clams go) to thrive.

I've always wanted a clam and have considered them too, and then not for the same reason. Do you have a cool lfs you could sell it to if it got too out of control? My lfs won't buy anything, just take donations then re-sell for profit of course...

6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

why not go with crocea or maxima??? They don't get very big. 6 inches or so

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Lighting is not a problem. I have a T5/MH combo with a shallow tank, so I am good with everything pretty much there.
    As far as the LFS, I do CURRENTLY have ONE. But I just went today and 70% of there tanks were empty and they were talking about not being able to hang on much longer. So its looking like I will have nothing. No Reef Clubs here either :cry:

Maxima's get to 16-18". I am not a fan of Crocea's unless its some super rare uber color show one, which means BIG $$$$$

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I do stand corrected. It seems like they are just looking for a clam small enough to go into their smaller sized tank. I think the crocea is a good fit. They could always get a gigas! jk jk jk

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

LOL I think the fact of the matter is is that every turn I have made I have dodged the fact that I need to get my big tank project going, lol ;D Just in the economy today, its a while out :-/:angry:

11. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Ok so I pretty much know you have adequate lighting :) but the thing about the clam what I was trying to say is that they grow so much because they don't require much lighting, and the more lighting you have the faster they grow. Wasn't trying to dis your lighting or anything... :p