question about skimmer placement

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by dazztee, Dec 12, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dazztee

dazztee Plankton

i currently hav a red sea skimmer on side of my tank its noisy!! but a good one. now i dont hav a sump but can i fit a deltec ap 600 in the cabinet below and pump water int o it then back up to the tank?. or would this be a problem if the power went off. would this skimmer flood the place or no? or any other suggestions how i can do this

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

The red sea skimmer recommends that the return water hose is not submerged. I would assume this would also include a pump to return water to the tank. I think the problem would be getting a pump that would not suck water from the skimmer while not stopping the flow. Unfortunately I don't think that is possible

J

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Heck if you have the cabinet space just make a sump! Go spend 20-40 bucks on a tank you can use as a sump. Maybe a 20 high and just stick the skimmer in it. Use a overflow to feed it and a pump to return it. And a pump for the skimmer of course.

>>> How To Make A Sump <<<

I'd love to see you get that Deltec! [smiley=smokin.gif]

5. dazztee

dazztee Plankton

ok matt thanks. my cabinet is a juwel rio 400,the cabinet is split into 3sections with a cupboard at each end and a space in th middle so a sump would have to be in 3 seperate tanks .the 2 center supports on this cabinet cant be removed because of the weight factor, so im either split the sump into 2 0r 3 sections..or put it in a cabinet beside the FT what do you think matt

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Go to home depot and get a rubbermaid tub. They are cheap and hold a great deal of water.
    If the power goes out on anyones tank the sump could flood but here is how you can stop that.
    PVC pipe returning water to your tank.
    Just above the water line drill a hole upwards into the 90 degree connection and if the power goes out then this whole will suck air in and stop the siphon of water back to the sump.

7. dazztee

dazztee Plankton

wow good idea cheers

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

looking at your cabinet... I'm not sure what you can do.. It really depends on the footprint of the skimmer.. unless you are willing to hang the skimmer on the back of the tank.

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

The rubbermaid may be the best Idea. That way you could flex it a bit to get in the cabnet.

J