Question about quarintine tank

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by TORMENTOR, Dec 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TORMENTOR

TORMENTOR Bristle Worm

What are the basic necessities needed for the tank?

IE: what size, any substrate?

I am going to be starting my tank up in the next few months after I gather all the equipment and want to be prepared for anything that might arise. Also I want to quarintine any and all living creatures before they make it into the display tank.

Thanks Rich

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp

i make mine just like my show tanks and i make them a show tank as well but less rocks

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Mine is a 10 gallon tank. All three sides are "blacked out". Heater, powerhead(not required), airstone, light, a coffee cup, and a cheesy(plastic) fake rock/branch thing. Normally/commonly a cheap hang on back filter. I don't use one. Then medication of your choice.
    Substrate and porous structure are rendered useless(because of meds) and can harbor things you are trying to avoid.

5. TORMENTOR

TORMENTOR Bristle Worm

Thanks for the info, that's what I was looking for. I wasn't sure if you needed any substrate in the tank or anything else.

6. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

Agreed. This way it is easy to nuke the QT system when you are done and start a new one when you need it.

7. TORMENTOR

TORMENTOR Bristle Worm

as far as water goes, do you recommend using new water or water from the display tank.

8. Click Here!

9. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

I would use new water. It may not matter since you will eventually put whatever it is in your tank, but you might as well ease the stress by starting with the cleanest water possible. The one thing to worry about is a fish or a coral going suddenly from dirty water to clean or from one salinity to another that is more than .002 higher. Generally some sort of gentle acclimation is advisable.

In regards to biofiltration and LR/sand in the QT tank, having those in their will prevent you from doing a hyposalinity treatment on new fish. The process will kill off the beneficial bacteria as well as other inverts.

10. TORMENTOR

TORMENTOR Bristle Worm

Thanks Nano, that's kind of what I thought.
    Well its off the the lfs to pick up a 10g tank

11. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

IMO i would use at least half old and half new. but i wouldnt use all new water. using LR for filtration will be uselles as other have said. not much to a quarintine tank​

12. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

You can pick up a good 10g setup with an el cheapo filter for 30 bucks at wally world. No substrate, maybe a PVC pipe to hide in, and taadaa that's the bare essentials to a Q tank.

The goal is to quarantine, meaning whatever's quarantined will eventually go back to the big group/tank (we hope). So live rock with it's various critters, corals, and other things are pointless unless they have the same disease or whatever. Which isn't going to happen. ;)