Question about Purple Up

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by jasond56, Jun 1, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jasond56

jasond56 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hello! Last week, I started dosing with PurpleUp by CaribSea to help promote coralline algae growth on the few pieces of live rock I have. I was wondering if...

1) Anyone else has used this stuff and to what out come

2) Should I stop dosing with Kent calcium, iodine & S&M since PurpleUp boasts that it contains "super sea calcium", and "also replenishes iodine" and contains "strontium, magnesium, and carbonate"? (taken from PurpleUp bottle)

I know it's possible to overdose calcium, but can you overdose iodine and S&M? What happens if calcium levels are too high? Iodine? S&M?

Thanks in advance!

Jason D.;)

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

I never used purple up, but a good alk and calcium level will help promote corraline alge. So with the purple up and steady levels your corraline might take off pretty well.

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I use Purple up with much success!!!!Alot of corraline algae in my tank, however, you have to have good lighting as well as good water flow to grow coralline algae!!!! Moreover, with Purple up, you have to have some coralline algae in your tank already for it to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As for calcium levels and overdosing or having too much in your tank-my level is always over 550 which is alittle high, but if your alkalinity is ok and everything is doing well-you are ok...
    Strontium is hard to overdose but if you do overdose it your alkilinity will go down I believe. I've never heard of anyone supplementing with magnesium so I wouldn't worry about it.
    Iodine is another story! You don't want to overdose iodine as it is toxic in high concentrations. If you are going to dose iodine-I would suggest dosing less than what the directions suggest and also purchase a TEST KIT to make sure your level is ok...Iodine does tend to become depleted rather quickly in a tank, however, to be safe-test frequently!
    I would still dose with (LUGOL'S etc.), however, dosing with calcium and strontium and magnesium may be redundant-especially if you are performing water changes often and using the "Purple Up".
    These are my opinions and do not relect the views and opinions of the management her at 3reef_hhhaaaaaaaahahhahahehehehe Just kidding-stck with the "Purple Up"-I think it is very beneficial to a saltwater tank
    Good luck!

5. JohnSt22

JohnSt22 Plankton

I agree with coral reefer. I have used purple up for 3 months and my live rock has had pretty good coralline growth. When i started, i had about 3 spots of coralline. After 3 months, half of my live rock is covered in coralline and the back wall is starting to spot with pink.

6. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I have to respectfully disagree with that statement. I have grown lots of coralline with NO fluorescent bulbs. Sometimes corraline will bleach out with intense lighting :eek:
    Good Flow is a requirement without a doubt.
    All the other stuff sounds like great advice :) alk, ph, mag, iodine.

Have a good one.

Jim

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Well I've heard different types of corraline prefer different types of lighting, so flow would probably be more of a concern for it to thrive. I dont dose strontium or manganese or magnesium, but I think I wanna start to help grow my corraline. After 1 year of running the tank with all chemicals in check, I only have a few baby spots of corraline that are really not growing at a fast pace.

Humm, I might consider using it for the strontium and magnesium trace. ;D

8. Click Here!

9. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

I think I have been lucky, I do not dose my tank with anything and after 6 months my corraline has spread everywhere!
    I have some large rocks that where not live rock and now you can't really tell the difference. The water flow in my tank is pretty good so maybe that helps.

10. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

I used purple up before and I was happy with the results. The person who brings up the lighting and coralline is correct, sometimes it just will not grow in very high lighting situations.

Anyway, a good rule to follow is always test for what you dose your tank with. Iodine can be very dangerous and easy to overdose. Lugols is extremely concentrated and thus even easier to overdose.

11. jasond56

jasond56 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Wow! Thanks so much for your input guys!!!!

One repeat theme I've noticed in all your postings is time. I've been dosing with Purpleup now for just about a month - 1 cap-full everyday. Most of you guys are talking 3 months or more. I just need to be patient I guess?

However I am confused with the lighting situation. I have Coralife combo lighting (acitinic, 50/50, moon). Lights come on at 2:30 pm and are off by 8 pm. Is this too much lighting? Too little?

As far as water flow - I thought I had pretty good flow. I notice debris (when there is some) will usually move around on the bottom, suggesting to me that the water flow I do have is strong enough to agitate the entire tank, bottom included. What do you guys think?

12. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

It's not too much lighting :)
    I'm sure there will be many people to dispute this, but I am going to say it anyway ;) Most of the tanks that I see with LOTS of coralline are reef tanks. It seems like the FOWLR tanks have the least amount. My theory on this is that the FOWLR tank owners are less concerned with calcium, alk and iodine levels plus the fact that they usually have lots of fish and high phosphate levels because of all the fish poop and food. Not to mention they are less concerned with using RO/DI water.
    Enjoy the hobby...

Jim

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006