Question about Magnesium

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Tight Lipped, Mar 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tight Lipped

Tight Lipped Astrea Snail

I have a 55 Gallon with a 30 Gal sump that has about 10 gallons in it. I have been having trouble with the Calcium levels, cannot seem to get it above 320. Some suggested that my Magnesium levels are low so I ordered a Mg and Alkalinity tests. I have since stopped adding any calcium until I get a handle on the parameters but I want to ask

I was told I can use epsom Salt (which is Magnesium Sulfide) to bring up the Mg but if I need to bring it up several 100 PPm I need to watch the increase in Sulfide, some site suggest even a 600 ppm increas in Mg with epsom salt would not have any bad effects from the sulfide, I want to know what others who have done this think?

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I have never had an issue with the sulfides after 45 yrs of Epsom salts use.. As for the Calcium depending on what you use makes the difference as to how you add it.. Most will just dribble your to death and not move anything.. Double even triple the amount you add . Tanks hit a break even point and what you added last year will not be sufficient this yr. Coralline and corals as they grow their needs are more and they consume more you have to adjust the dosages to match the demand. If you are using the liquid stuff It is not very concentrated get you some Calcium Chloride snow melt or Kent's Turbo calcium . More bang for your money. As for 600ppm LOL I have bumped mine from 900 to 2,000 ppm in a few hrs trying to ward of an algae issue this past fall.

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I use them both Epsom Salt and Mg Chloride. I buy the Mg Chl by the 14lb container. It will last you a while.

Bulk Reef Supply

5. Tight Lipped

I have been adding turbo calcium every day with no change whatsoever, this is why an earlier post of mine explored possibilities and suggestions were to make sure the Mg is correct first then work on the Ca.

I also have liquid ca and Kalwasser, I hardly ever use the liquid and have been dosing 2 TBS of kalwasser once a week with strontium/molyb and buffer mixed with it to no avail.

My rock has green algae on it and the corraline is very slow.

I do not want to keep adding Ca if it will only build up and crash out.

I also just recently fixed my pump so I am pumping about 700-800 GPH so this should help turnover.

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Just to biggy back on what was said already, Having a good Mag level(1400-1500) will help you to maint. both Cal and Alk(ph). Until you get the Mag up and stable, you'll have trouble with Cal and Alk. Need to know your Mag level.

7. Tight Lipped

I Just picked up Mg and Alk tst kits so I will know tonight my levels. I will post as soon I can

8. Click Here!

9. Tight Lipped

OK So here are my results

Salinity is 1.022
    Calcium was 300
    PH color was blue and looked like it was higher then the chart which stopped at 8.6 and was violet

Alk was dark blue, the test card said 3.6 meq/l as a max and I think I was higher then this but I think 0.5 = 1.4 Dkh so that would only be 5 so I may be low, this test is a Red Sea

the Magnesium was 1000

Now the question, I think I should raise the salinity to 1.025 first then start to bring up the Mg

How much epsom salt do I use, is there a rule of thumb?

10. Tight Lipped

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I used rea sea once and i didnt like it, you may want to get a better test kit after that one is done. Like API, Salifert, Elios or Lemonte(sp) They're a little more expensive but worth it and accurate. I personaly like to have my parameters as follows;
    Cal--400-460
    Mag--1350-1450
    Dkh/Alk--10-14/3.6-5.5
    Sg--1.024-26
    Ph--8.0-8.2

12. Tight Lipped

Thanks Man

I think I am close

I just added some salt to get that up and I am now dosing a 1/2 lb of mag in 1 gal of water.

I have an elegance in the tank and the last week he has not been as open as when I first introduced him so I hope he is ok, he is one of my better pieces, I don't want to lose him.