Question about leds

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by amcamps26, Feb 24, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcamps26

amcamps26 Plankton

Hello to all hobbyists i have a quick question... I want to know if these leds are 50w cannons please any help would be grateful thx...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. amcamps26

amcamps26 Plankton

4. dacianb

dacianb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

cannons for sure are, but how many watts is impossible to tell. Use an Amperemeter and measure consumption. Then multiply the amps with voltage and you get the watts.
    I would say is not a brilliant design - using vertical fins for natural convection airflow, but put a cover on top of them.... Just makes half of the that size useless :rolleyes:
    How much is weighting such a cannon??? :)

5. amcamps26

amcamps26 Plankton

Thx for the reply... They are 50watts i was wondering if they where cannons because i dont see the manufactory number or name on them... Im wondering what height i should put them? Im using them on a 75gal lps, soft and maybe sps on the near future... Sorry about my english

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

7. amcamps26

amcamps26 Plankton

2-450nm royal blue and 2-14k white

8. Click Here!

9. dacianb

Here are 2 heatsinks I tested for my lights:
    - left one can easily handle 50W without any fan and is 130x100x25 mm (4-5 inches I think :rolleyes:)
    - right one is 92x92 mm and can be used for 100-120W without fan or 180-200W with a small fan on it.

I dont know why your cannon are so huge for the 50W :)

20150220_124354.jpg

10. amcamps26

amcamps26 Plankton

Idk im just asking :) ... I was told they where 50watts each... I too wonder why so big the heatsink... Ive been searching the internet for those and i found pictures of the pro ones from ecoxotic... Thats why im asking lol because idk they where cannons... I need an amperemeter to see if they are more potent than 50watt...

11. amcamps26

amcamps26 Plankton

This is the closest i found on the internet. This ones are 50w pro... Maybe mine are the older desing?

[​IMG]

12. dacianb

Any digital multimeter will do the job and cost few dollars only. Just to be sure you will not boil the water under them :). Are those dimmable? Be careful with high power leds around tank - may bleach everything in no time.
    And rule number one on leds - never trust your eyes. Specially on deepblue leds - they may burn your corals and you barely see something in tank.

DSC reef likes this.