question about ich a curying process

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Teknine, Feb 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Teknine

Teknine Astrea Snail

ok so i got ich on some of my fishes did some research and i came to the conclusion that i just have to stay fishless for about a month or so because i dont have a qt/Hospital tank to try the copper treatment so what that being said my question is when i take out the fishes and start the process do i have to take out my hermit crabs and turbo snails or they can stay

2. Click Here!

3. Jumper

Jumper Feather Duster

First of all can you please write in complete sentences? Not to be rude but it would make things clearer for me. Second, when you treat the fish, leave snails and hermits in there, or any inverts for that matter; ick doesn't affect them.

4. PetMother

PetMother Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

If your putting the fish in qt for treatment then you can leave the inverts in the DT tank. Don't put any copper in with the inverts as it will kill them.

5. Teknine

Teknine Astrea Snail

sorry for the run on sentences jumper..but i just need a quick answer ...if its bothering you to the point that your getting frustrated then just dont reed and move on dont know what to tell you :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you are leaving the tank fallow (without fish) for anywhere from 28-60 days, the parasite will die. It needs a host to complete it's life cycle and is dependent on fish to do so. So now as long as you are not treating the display you do not have to remove the inverts, the parasite will die.

7. Sadie

Sadie Coral Banded Shrimp

I'm a little confused, are you taking your fish out of your tank and treating? Or do you want to treat them in your tank?

I don't know what kind of fish you have or how many, but I never had a QT tank either. When I added a second clown to my tank, my first clown got ick.

I went to walmart and got a 1 gal. tank with hood and lights and pump for all of 15.00. I took a gallon of water form my tank and filled the new tank. I then put my clown in there and treated him. Don't know if I was just lucky, but it worked.

8. Click Here!

9. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

you dont have a QT tank? so what will you be doing with the fish you take out?

in my dealings with ich, i run my uv sterilizer its on 24/7, add selcon to the food, and if i can catch the fish i fresh water dip it. when its being dipped i float it in the tank so it can see its home,after the short dip,i put it back into the tank. the dip helps to relieve it and give the fish a chance to fight the ich naturally.
    i do feel my uv sterilizer is the key. it kills the free floating ich in the water.

my way has worked for me. i know a lot of others will have their own ways to deal with ich. and not agree with me. oh and i have a qt tank, that has everything to use it if i wanted to.

10. Jumper

Jumper Feather Duster

? I was just saying to write completely so I can understand the situation completely. I'm not good at reading run-ons. Anyway, are you going to use copper or hyposalinity?