Question about green flower pot coral

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Saltyfishluver, May 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Saltyfishluver

Saltyfishluver Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

i bought this guy about 4-5 days ago and he has not really opened up yet? i have him towards the top of the highest live rock which is about 1/3rd of the way down from the top of the tank and i think i have a pretty good water flow where he is can anyone help me to let me know if i am taking care of him correctly or incorrectly
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. nuisance

nuisance Astrea Snail

Hi, I got the same now for 6 months in my 150l tank. It used to open nicely (I do not think that they like to much flow, mine is on live rock close to the bottum of the tank with). However about a month ago I prepared to go on leave and did a 50% water change and after that he did not open at all for about 2 weeks. It's only now that he is starting to look better and is now opening again but not as much as it used to be. You can try to move it somewhere else in your tank but let's wait and see what the experts say.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If it does not open in a few days I would move it around and try different flow options. Personally I have always kept them in the sand bed, but I see them up in other rock work all the time. Look into the newer suspension foods they have on the market for non photosynthetic coral (NPS), the coral might benefit from them. Also as far as I knew they are in the wild found in back reefs in the substrate, with less than ideal water clarity and a certain amount of suspended particles. IMO these are not corals for a sps dominated system.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would place the coral on the sand or the bottom rocks, they do not require high lighting. They like good flow to keep them clean of detritus just not high flow.

6. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

When I had mine (not anymore unfortunetely) they actually did better when I thought i needed to do a water change. After the water change they were all small and didnt like it very much. I did also keep them on the substrate and in a medium flow area, just enough so they wouldnt get detrius off.

7. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

My pink one actually does better in what I would say a medium current. It's located on the bottom in the corner opposite my powerhead thats aimed at the front middle of the tank. It took me about 6 moves to end up there and its has great extension and growth I can see in a little over a month & a half.

8. Click Here!

9. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

+1 on the "keep them on the sandbed" & medium flow. Nice swaying flow seems to keep them happy. They are one of those corals that tend to have limited life in the home tank, my LFS calls them "rent-a-coral" :).

I have had about 3 different ones over the past few years in 2 different tanks. Normal lifespan in the home tank can range from 6 months to a year, depending on your tank, if you can get them to stay happy for a year that's great. Mine seemed to take a turn at the 6-8 month mark and began to slowly recede and wither away. Also found my last one did beter in my old tank, was never happy and extneded fully in my new one.

As someone else mentioned, they can flourish (like xenia) in less than pristine water, but I didn't have the heart to not keep the tank clean for the Goniopora. I'm def no expert but this is info I've picked up over the course of keeping them and my experiences definitely mirrored the info.

best of luck with it!

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  10. Saltyfishluver

thanks for all the feedback :)

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

12. Saltyfishluver

my flower pot i think already is happier :)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.