Question about Eco Complete

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by Lady J, Aug 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

If I switched my substrate from sand to Eco Complete would I still need to add fertilizer or would carbon and Seachem Trace be enough?

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You will still need to dose like with your sand as it is mainly inert.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

It's not really sand - it's a substrate. And it is loaded with supplements specifically for plants, so no dosing required. I don't have experience with it, but the reviews are good.

5. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Both Matt and john are correct IMO. Eco complete does come packed with nutrients for plants, but depending on the demand for nutrients, It will be absorbed by the plants and will require additional dosing down the road. Every tank is different when it comes to nutrient demand. With high light and CO2 injection you will most definitively need to dose right off the bat. However with a low light/ low maintenance tank, you may never need to dose.

6. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Thank you all for your responses. Unfortunately I still haven't been able to get the fertilizers and I'm getting algae on my plants. I wasn't sure if adding fertilizers to the water column and having them in the substrate would be too much. My tank is only medium planted and I have 2.5w. per gallon with t5s. As John knows, I've been dosing carbon and Seachem Trace but I really need to start adding fertilizers.

As much as I like the look of a black substrate this will be a bit costly to change from sand to Eco Complete and get fertilizers, so, I guess I'll get the dry ferts. that John has suggested. Again, thanks for your input as I'm definitely still learning. :) I need to follow the advice of those who know so that my tank thrives. The plants are growing nicely though but I need to get rid of the little bit of algae that's on them.