question about cutting

Discussion in 'Frags' started by nc208082, Nov 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

i have a pulsating xenia that has attached itself to a larger rock but has attached in a weird way i want to cut the xenia in the shaft area to move the original piece and hope a new colony will grow from the one i have cut any one know if this will work.
    the picture i am providing has a circle drawn on it where it has attached to the new rock the second arrow pointing below is where i want to cut it

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I cut mine with very sharp scissors without a problem, looks like the perfect place to cut it IMO. It is going to be mad for a short time but is usually bounces back.

4. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Xenia is very hardy. When you cut it... what is left on the rock will continue to grow. Very easy to frag.

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

It will work IME NC208082

If your pruning - you can just discard the off cuts, and the parent colony will heal
    dont make to many cuts at any one time is best idea IMO

If your fragging
    take the piece you have cut, losely tie it to a small piece of rock with mesh netting strips or bridal veil - leave it in a low flow area of the tank and it will eventually (2 weeks approx) adhere itself to the rock

Steve

6. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

also after you cut,put the frags in a small bowl in the tank with rubble in the bowl,covered with netting until it attaches.then you can put it where ever you want it.

7. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

amazing thanks for your replies, used some clean sharp scissors and did the job now its lights out so hoping for the best overnight. thanks for your quick replies.