Quarantine Tank? FW Dip? Is it all really necessary?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by CoralQueen, May 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I've had QT back fire in me too. I have a fish that is breaking ALL the rules where Ich is concerned.

I've looked under a scope and it looks like Ich. I wish I could sneak it into the clean room where all the scopes have cameras to get others opinions. He's been in 1.008 hypo twice..... and still it returns when he gets stressed. He has beautiful tankmates to go into a 310g with him, but he'll likely spend his life alone if I can't figure this out.

2. Click Here!

3. pizza101

pizza101 Flamingo Tongue

I think the most of us are on here to learn,rejoice success,and meet people that are into the same fun and exiting hobby that we all enjoy and strive to do better at.. Go Noles!

4. map95003

map95003 Bubble Tip Anemone

Nobody told anyone anything about "talking up their butt" you make what you want of others comments and posts.

That's the point I'm trying to get at.

It's not about laughing at anyone's opinion, just to the fact at how often I read this type of discussion over the years and the outcome is always the same, the people that QT everything usually go completely against others that don't. Usually reefers that QT everything try to make it sound like that's the only way and your tank WILL be free of disease, you know that's not true. A very good friend of mine takes this hobby to a level most of us would never be able to achieve due to cost, he has spent thousands upon thousands of $$ on his 600g reef with every gadget you could think of, multiple parallel QT setups for QTing everyting....yet our outcome is the same, we've both had ich at some point, it just cost me a lot less $$ and time, I'm not saying what he did was wrong, but it's not bullet proof and definitely not the only way.

Then there are reefers like myself that QT fish, don't have a problem with other QTing everything but try to show there are other ways. As you know there are also reefers that don't QT anything and that's their choice, they have a higher risk.

Do a search on any forum on "QT" over the last 10 yrs and you'll find the same outcome and I don't think this will be changing anytime soon, hense my first post in this thread.

True

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Careful inspection of all fish.

Observe for flatworms, nudibranchs, red bugs on all coral frags and new LR. Dipping when appropriate.

Anyone that has had to deal with monti eating nudibranchs or acro eating flatworms I am sure would tell you after loosing hundreds if not thousands of dollors in corals that they wished they had QT'd.

Currently I have to purchase a new fish to eat pods, just got rid of my qt. The thought of bring something like Marine Ich or Brookynella into my system is frightening, so much so that I am bringing extremely careful.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  6. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

What has anyone heard lately about hypo failing from legit sources? Two of my friends have had it fail and have even stopped using it. They deal with fish everyday. I trust these people and are talking from their own experiences. My 2 attempt failed and you don't even want to know the extremes I went through. Maybe this should be another topic? I hate derailing threads that weren't started by me.

7. mulder32

mulder32 Purple Spiny Lobster

I have only QT or dipped a fish that was sick, but I think with my new tank (I've been away from the hobby for 5 years) I will do a dip before any new fish goes into the tank.

For sick fish, obviously I will still use a QT.