QT size question

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by milomlo, Jul 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. milomlo

milomlo Astrea Snail

Do you think a 1 or 2 or 3 gallon tank would be sufficient size for a small QT?
    I will only be putting small fish in it (such as clown, chromis, blenny) or possibly small corals as zoas, shrooms, hammer.

My DT is only 29 gallon so the items I purchase will be small. I don't have much room for a bigger tank so I was hoping around 2 gallon but 3 max.

2. Click Here!

3. MarineDepot

MarineDepot 3reef Sponsor

Yes, I have quarantined small fish in a 3 gallon container with success, and it is great to hear that you are wanting to quarantine. Just add a small pump for water movement and a heater. If you are not using a hang on the back filter, then I would recommend an airstone to oxygenate the water. All you'll need to do is perform water changes regularly.

Dan

4. milomlo

milomlo Astrea Snail

GREAT!! Thanks for the input

5. BUGz

BUGz Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I started with a 10g, then 20L (Leaked) and now use a 29g and that works great. I would think a small tank such as 3 - 5g could be more stressful for a new fish and dosing any medications would have to be very precise to avoid overdosing the tank/fish. The smaller volume of water, the harder it is to keep it stable and the parameters constant.

Glad your QT'ing though and good luck!
    :thumb_up:

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I was coming on with a similar question. I have a 2.5 gallon aquarium that I was wanting to use. I have a 400 GPH powerhead that I could put in there, but I fear that it's too powerful and will stress the fish. There is a damsel in there right now just so I can get used to the process of QTing. He was looking pretty stressed and unhealthy last night, but he is wonderfully energetic, hungry and colorful today.

7. milomlo

milomlo Astrea Snail

I'm thinking that is alot of flow for such a small tank. Maybe get a small tiny powerhead for that tank. JMO

8. Click Here!

9. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

with smaller fish i always quarantine in a 10 gallon, its a good size for it. with larger fish such as tangs or angels i always do a 40 gallon. that is when i quarantine. not often haha.

10. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

I would go get a 20 gallon, and set it up permanently. That way, you could have an established system to qt coral and fish in. Keep a 10 gallon tank that you do not plan on using for saltwater to medicate fish. I never medicate fish unless they have a disease. If it is major, I medicate. If not, I let it heal in my established frag system. Frag tanks are great for testing out reff safe with caution fish. For an example, I have a niger trigger and a bi color angel in there now. Now nipping yet, so they should be good to go. The angel has a minor fungal infection, so I am allowing it to heal before he goes to the dt. I keep all fish a minimum of 4 weeks, and only release healthy fish.

11. milomlo

milomlo Astrea Snail

That all sounds great. I just don't have the room for a 10 gallon tank. I don't wan to set it up and keep it in my kitchen. I am starting to think a 5 gallon bucket.

12. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

If you want to treat with meds, all directions are typically for a 10g tank. Makes it easy for dosing, I guess. I use to put mine in my closet when I lived in an apartment. Stored my sweaters in it on the top shelf when not in use :)

5g buckets are perfectly fine too. But it's 50 x harder to keep the parameters good in a volume that small. 10gs can even be a challenge. Make sure you have an ammonia "neutralizing" product on hand.