Put this in water chemistry as that is main point to thread

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by chris adams, Feb 8, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Ok so testing the wife's nuvo 38 tank

just tested (api on most..ya I know I need to get hanna.. on this list to buy)
    11 kh
    0 Nitrite
    10ppm Nitrate (water changes not making difference last couple weeks)
    0ppm phos
    8.1 ph
    460 cal
    1450 Mag (use salifert)

5gal water changes per week
    No sump/fuge
    salt is Instant Ocean/Reef Crystals

inhabitants are three banggai cardinals, 2 clown, 1 yellow clown goby. SPS, LPS, and softies.

Questions

1) She does have one side with the Mechanical, carbon, and phos media sponge(for those who have the Nuvo are you using these)? Thinking this could be part of the Nitrate issue. What are others opinions?

2) MAG never changes is that to high in people opinion? I read between 1350 and 1500 is normal but then see people on here running it lower. Maybe I need to test it more during the week and see if there is a drop and water change just bringing it up.

Really the Nitrate is what worries me.. last 5 water changes we have done a little sand bed cleaning as we had some diatom that was just not going away(happened after we had a leak in old tank and had to move everything over).. Also added more cuc to help with that. After the cuc and with small sand bed cleanup diatom in check.

Anyways would like thoughts, opinions etc..

PS here is my little list of stuff I want to get for the wife but I am not a rich man so can't just go buy buy buy. Plus 2 teenage girls does not help the money factor.
    Dosing pumps (what do people like brands).

2 part
    Ato system (sick of adding water about everyday)

Small chiller (we get some pretty drastic temp swings in the house during the winter as it is opened up).

Neptune apex controller (should I just go with the lite version???)

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Mag. is a little high but if your Alk. and Calcium are that high then it is fine as lowering it may cause precipitation to occur.;)
    I see the term Nitrate factory used alot here.Stay tuned for an upcoming thread about this.
    Basically everyone's entire system is a nitrate factory.The way you export it can be accomplished in many ways but the nitrates don't appear out of thin air. If you are building nutrients you can get rid of the waste before conversion.Mechanical filtration can be very effective for this but needs to be maintained regularly. I have run tanks with and without mechanical filters. IME I would rather do wc's then wc's and filter floss,sponges, replacement/cleaning.
    I also keep a low stocking level and feed once a day.If you are building nutrients you and/or your animals put them there. Get em outta there!!!!lol
    You have a large bioload Chris.Until you lower it you will battle nutrients.

4. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Thanks Vinney.. have a 135 in cycle and the three banggai cardinals are moving on up to the penthouse. That should help.

What is you personal opinion on fish count in a 30. She had gotten the banggai as her first fish then the clown and clown goby. I was not in town when she had gotten the banggai and really would have advised against it originally but it is her tank.

Now of course she wants the banggai out.. so I inherit them.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Also nutrients it turns out can leach from your lr for years.Keeping nutrient levels low require an extended commitment and patience not too many have.Keeping your bioload (Anything that eats or poops adds to the load.)low means less work /money/time you will spend to keep your tank clean/healthy.Giving you more time to enjoy your tank.If you have girls you can't have much hair left for god's sake.;D

6. Vinnyboombatz

I know lots of people like the Banghi's(including me) but they really make poor choices for reef tanks IME.They are deepwater fish who need subdued lighting or plenty of large caves to take shelter in.
    As far as stocking your 30 alot depends on how much work,money,time you want to spend on it.
    Also the type of fish as you know is a huge factor.
    If your looking for activity in a small system try an ORA sharknose Goby,jawfish,blue neon goby,barnacle blennies are a huge hit and great small tank fish.
    If you want a little more aggressive you can try a pseudochromis(neon ,or a Sprigeri) awesome active fish!!You could then mix a couple of damsels and a sixline wrasse.Done.lol