purple up?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Fastlife, Apr 12, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

Has anyone used a product called Purple Up by Carib Sea? Its to achieve coraline growth. I was debating on this product or the 2 part B-ionic. Feed back would be great. Thanxs , Danny

2. Click Here!

3. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

Does anyone have any opinions?

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

First get a good Alkaline & Calcium test kit and test first and then I would go the B-Ionic route if your calcium is low JMO ............... John

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I use B=Ionic and Kalk, I have beautiful purple rocks :)

LIke Fletch says, good Alk and Calcium testing is paramount.

6. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

I use just Kalk and am really getting tired of scrapping the stuff of the glass. But each time I do I get new sheets of purple pink covering the rocks. Does anyone know of a good razor type scraper blade that will do good on acrylic tanks. I have used a razor and just scratch the s### out of the tank. I have 2 of the magnet pads but they are a lot of work and I end up getting in there up to my armpit with a white pad cleaning the purple off.

Jay

7. chetrod

chetrod Peppermint Shrimp

Jay, the kalk youy are using do you use a drip or do you mix it in with your water changes?

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Jay, try an old credit card. I would not use any type of razor on acrylic. :D

Chetrod, Kalk really should be dripped in or used in an auto top off type set up. I would not pour Kalk in any real amounts. It's pH is 12 and too much at once could cause calcium to precipitate out of the water. :)

10. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

fletch What do u suggest for test kit on alk & cal?

11. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Hello I read this and the "Coraline changing colors" thread and Fast Life your really, REALLY have to test for Cal and Alk in a reef tank. I use the aquarium pham. kits but am planning to switch to the seachem kits when I get around to mail ordering them. As far a purple up your better off with one of the 2-part system. Like Seachem, ESV, or the Two Little Fish buffer. Any all in one product is going to waste alot of the product when it glues its self into Calcium Carbonate in the water

12. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Also your can use the 2-part system without the pH swings you get from using Kalk.