Purple Up question

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by rking, Dec 30, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rking

rking Astrea Snail

I've read quite a bit about how great purple up is for corraline algae development. I've also read that it doesn't do anything special that my tank wont do on its own when I have all of the parameters right. Now I've never seen purple up in a LFS, only online, so my question is this. What are the ingredients in purple up that are suppposedly special? What does it have that regular supplements do not? I have never been able to read a list of ingredients on it, but if it just has the same things as the supplements I've been looking at on a shelf then is there any reason to bother with it at all? I'd really hate to waste time and money on something with a catchy name but no real benefit.

Thanks,

Ray

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Save your money and just give it time I have waited for 4 closer to five months since I set a tank up and seeding it with corallines to see any growth. Just noticed it taking hold the other day or so.. Now I'll get the main lights wired up and start the skimmer.. I used all dead base rock. It takes months and not weeks to see any real growth. I myself use them as a barometer of the tanks
    readiness to start moving up to corals and more fish rather then the single cycling fish. Florida Aquatic Farms sells about the only product along these lines I have ever witnessed to really work but time was still the major factor..

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I have used this stuff for the last 3 weeks and I see a noticeable difference in coralline growth. I only do half the dose and I had coralline already growing on a few pieces of my LR. That stuff is growing on everything now. I may just have the right parameters in a tank 2 months old or this stuff really works, decide for your self. It was only $8.99 online for a 3 month supply for 50 gal of water. Not bad price.

6. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

On the contrair, I've been using it for about 2 months, it has livened the color in my corralline. Looks more lush and has helped spread it in areas I had no coralline. My advice to everyone is dont knock it until you try it. ;D It helps replenish iodine too. Also, it delivers ingredients through aragonite settling on the rock, it's suppose to be directly providing needed elements to the rock. This product will or will not work for you, it's a matter of trying it out. It's not even expensive at 12.00-14.00 bucks for a 16 oz. bottle. You're suppose to dose everyday, but since I worry its effects on the balance of my water (as I've read and heard horror stories), I only dose it fri., sat., sun. :-/

Try it!

7. hitman35

hitman35 Purple Spiny Lobster

I have been using purpl up for about a month now and startin to see some growth in corraline

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

OK, I understand the "don't knock it until you try it" comment but I have never had any problems growing coralline without it so that has to say something. I keep my calciuim and alk up, add strontium from time to time and iodine and since that's pretty much all that is contained in the Purple Up, I can't see how it could do a better job or work faster than what I've done from day one. :) If you're happy with it, more power to you, but I don't see the need to spend extra money on what comes naturally with time and patience :)

10. rking

rking Astrea Snail

Gotcha

Ok. What I've gathered is that most of the people who use it think that it works at least moderately well. However, it doesnt have some super secret squirrel ingredient in there that I can't get elsewhere. Thats what I was wondering about the stuff. I dont necessarily have a problem with it, but I certainly don't want to buy it if it would end up being redundant.

Thanks,

Ray

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I've never once read anywhere that Iodine is utilized by either geniculate or non-geniculate coralline algae. I don't understand why this would be needed in this product.

In certain circumstances, Strontium can be a replacement for Calcium during the calcification process but that is waaaaay beyond the scope of this thread. Regardless, since this product also contains Calcium, adding Sr seems to be of little use.

Coralline primarily needs Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium plus one very important ingredient.....coralline spores. If using this product is improving your coralline, either your Calcium, Alkalinity, or Magnesium is low and/or not balanced.

I personally hate coralline algae because when I am in tax season and don't have time to scrape or I'm traveling and can't scrape, it just means I'm going to have to work my butt off just to see my tank again.

12. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I agree with amcarrig...It might do somthing...but i have coraline algae growing like crazy and i only dose Kents Ca...plus the normal supps.