purple tip anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by gsoria31, Sep 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gsoria31

gsoria31 Astrea Snail

i just got my anenome yesterday. Hes movin around the tank a lot. But he doesnt open up much. I was thinking about feeding him some shrimp i bought from the market. Is this ok? Should i feed him flakes instead?

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. kamikaze8302

kamikaze8302 Astrea Snail

just wait, the anemone will float around till it will find a spot that it likes and will stay on it. make sure your parameters are right and have a lot of flow in the tank. they will function better

4. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

how old it that tank? i dont see any live rock or algea! is that fake grass? i would guess the lights you have would not sustain it. i would only attempt one with an established reef system.

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

+1. Anemones require prestine water params, excellent lighting, and a well established tank. They should not even be considered unless the tank is at least 8-12 months old.
    If you dont meet those, I would take it back to your LFS. If it dies in your tank it will take everything else with it.

6. gsoria31

gsoria31 Astrea Snail

Thanks for the quick responses. The tank has been running for over a year. I just cleaned the algae off the glass. There was a ton of it. Amonia levels and nitrates are good. The lighting is full spectrum. I forgot the exact numbers on it. The guy at petco said my lighting was okay he seemed pretty knowledgeable on the anemone i bought.

7. kamikaze8302

kamikaze8302 Astrea Snail

8. Click Here!

9. tarheel

tarheel Skunk Shrimp

I would hold off on feeding until he finds his "happy place". he wont eat unless he is open anyway, when he does just place some shrimp on his tentacle, it should stick to him if he is healty and the anemone will move the shrimp to its mouth. They can go quite a while without eating if you have good light, so I wouldn't worry about it until he barries his foot and opens up nicely.

10. gsoria31

gsoria31 Astrea Snail

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Strong lighting and very good water parameters are required for Anemones.
    By Strong lighting I mean Metal Halide or maybe T5. It looks by the pictures that the anemone is not moving around the tank under it's own power but just blowing around. This is a very bad sign. It appears to be in a lot of stress

J

12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Live rock. It appears you have almost nothing in the line of natural filtration. No offence, but the tank looks more like a kids goldfish tank than a reef tank.
    What EXACTLY are your water parameters for Ammonia, Nitrates, and Nitrites?
    Also need temp, SG, and PH

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008