Purple Tip anemone

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by m_lacom99, Nov 15, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

hello all, I was at one of my LFS (yes i have more than one, 4 in a 1/2 hour drive radius) and i saw this anemone, the guy told me it was a purple tip anemone, did some research and yes thats what it is but i cant seem to find any other info? What lighting does it need, what food does it eat, Would my clown take to it (false percula) cause he told me that the clown i had would only take to a carpet anemone witch i found weird cause i keep seeing pictures of clowns like mine in all kinds of different anemones. so i dont exacly trust the guy. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Marc.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would not recommend that anemone for hosting clown fish. I'm not really sure what will host in that. But I think nothing.
    Try to google anemone fish I know I've seen a anemone:clown chart.

That anemone move around a lot and can be very destructive.

Jason

4. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

by the way, there is an anemone map in the fish section of the forum on this site.

5. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Ok thanks guys... saw the chart... to bad... it was prety cheap for the size they had...

Marc.

6. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

my clown hosted instantaneously to a carpet anemone. i notice those purple tip in the LFS clownfish seems to avoid.

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

er maybe not a fish but there r plenty of inverts that will goto them maaaaybe a sexy shrimp mostly they stay with sand anemones but hey u never know also the porcelain crab would maybe go with it

Dr. Bruce

8. Click Here!

9. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

10. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

I have seen clowns (percula and ocellaris) host in the condy's (purpe tip, hatian pink tip, atlantic...all the same) but it is not very common. I found that the best suit is when they take to the bubble tip as they are cheap, clowns take to them more often than not, and light requirments are relativley low (can be kept ALIVE under flourecents, but wont grow much). They also take to long tentacles alot. The longer ive worked in fish stores the more ive seen clowns divert from the symbiot chart. This is not saying the info on the charts is inacurate, the charts are more guidlines than rules. I also belive that most literature on clowns describes thier natural history rather than thier captivity. Young clowns will even take to fake anemones.

11. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I have a mated pair of True percula clowns and they are hosting my colt coral, The colt didn't care for it at first but it got used to them and they don't seem to bother it any more. ;) ;D

Here is a clownfish and anemone Compatibility chart

http://www.bestfish.com/tips/032698.html  ;)   ... John

12. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

lol a colt...crazy my clowns r new and im gona move them but they r not really going to mine although it is....like FREAKING GIANT GOD I MUST CUT...COLT MOST BE SMALLER...sry bout that...it is so gian like 1.5 feet tall and like 2 feet wid and the base is like 6 in...er 1 stalk...both r like a bit more in diamator is anyone lives in the LA area msg me and ill sell u some frags for like $10 lol...nice frags i also have xenias :)...i know this dont go here but is it better to keep green star polyps on the sand or on the rock?... thanks (sry wrong area but in posting here so...eh im lazy :) )