Purple tang w/ popeye

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by t4zalews, Jan 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. t4zalews

t4zalews Flamingo Tongue

So my new purple tang has popeye. sweeet. Been eating like a champ, mowz down seaweed and pretty much anything I put into the tank. Very active, no color loss, appitite increased. Will the eye be fine? If she does go blind in that eye, will that limit aggression? Does soaking food in selcon really help with this disease? Not too worried about the fish more wanted a little discussion on the topic and any other things I can do. Note: I cannot catch the fish so this is not an option.

2. Click Here!

3. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I had a fish get popeye and die of it two weeks later, it was the only fish in the tank so it wasn't being harassed. I would start soaking the food in selcon or some other vitamin for fish and antibiotics if you want it to live. I thought mine would survive it and just be blind but it didn't. :(

4. t4zalews

t4zalews Flamingo Tongue

With further research on WetWebMedia I have concluded that my fish does not have popeye. Since only one eye is effected and the condition happened fairly quickly I have came to the conclusion that the fish irritated/slightly injured the eye and the eye is just swollen. Upon looking at the fish in more detail, the eye has gone down a little bit since the last time I saw him. This injury would make since considering that she was added 2 days ago and the other fish are still saying "hello" to the new guy. Must have not seen a rock in the way when swimming away.

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

You pretty much have figured it out. Good job. Still termed Popeye...it most always is an irritation that is self limiting. The fish may still lose the eye or develope a cataract. So be prepared for that. Otherwise, just keep your params in order and keep him in a low stress environment....which means do not remove him from the DT unless necessary.

6. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I did just that when my fish got it but the whole eye ended up coming out with just the socket left, he quit eating and eventually died, I regret not using vitamins or antibiotics. Water parameters were good and there were no other fish or anything around to stress him out.

7. t4zalews

t4zalews Flamingo Tongue

Just to note: my purple tang's eye has completely healed and he has full vision with it. Now swims both ways and is more active then ever. All I did was feed algae sheet soaked in selcon and tried to feed him as much spirulina as possible. I really fed the tank a lot for him to eat as much as possible. Seemed to work, a water change 2 weeks later and everyone is happy.

8. Click Here!

9. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

That is great news! I am glad he pulled through! My hippo ended up with an injured eye, which was caused by flashing on the LR in the tank. I had a huge pod population explosion in my tank and they were crawling on the fish which caused the flashing. I soaked him in diluted Melafix and a 5G container of the tank water, fed him Selcon and Garlic soaked food and he healed up in 2 weeks.