Purple Tang QT question

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Reef4life, Feb 8, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef4life

Reef4life Feather Duster

Hi Guys!

Once again I am here seeking some help and knowledge.... I bought a nice juvenile purple tang about 3 inches (if fishes could be sexy he would be sexyyyyyy 8)) and I have him in my QT a 40Gallon Breeder with 3 firefish... He is going to be treated with cupramine as soon as I see him settled in and relaxed... My issue is that he keeps flashing? or raising his top fin? all the time against the reflection of the glass is there a way I can get him to relax and just enjoy the space instead of chasing and attacking his reflection... There is some dry rock in the tank and a couple of PVC pipes for him to hide... parameters are all good... insight?

thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

That's just a tang being a tang probably.It's hard for a schooling fish to acclimate to a solitary life.They feel threatened and and can show alot of nervous energy. Hope you have a big tank with a small bioload.;)
    Try turning off the light.If you have one.
    Good luck with it.Many have tried.Few have succeeded unfortunately.:cry:

4. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

Vinny pretty much has it and has a good question. How big is your main tank? A purple needs a fair amount of space.

5. Reef4life

Reef4life Feather Duster

Thanks for the replies guys! Glad to say it finally settled down and its cruising around the tank eating from the era mini grazer :)... seems a bit upset with the first dose of cupramine but its eating like a piggy :)