Purple Ribbon Gorg. care

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Chance, Jun 11, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

I just picked up a purple ribbon gorgonian at the LFS. He tells me its photosynthetic I don't believe him. So lighting, flow, and feeding suggestions? It's a really cool coral!

2. Click Here!

3. Baraspatch

Baraspatch Astrea Snail

If you are unsure if it is photosynthetic or non-photosynthetic, there's a general rule that can help you tell (of course there are exceptions, but it normally applies): If the gorg has brownish-tan coloured polyps it is usually photosynthetic, if it has white or bright coloured polyps it is non-photosynthetic. If it is photosynthetic, moderate-high lighting is required and moderate-high flow. My photosynthetic gorg doesn't appreciate feeding but you can try give it small particulate foods such as rotifers or zooplankton from time to time and see if it accepts it.

2 people like this.
  4. Chance

Can you frag it? Mine is almost sticking out if the water.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Yes you can frag it. Just cut a piece and tie it to a piece of rubble it will attach in a week or more.;)

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

You can also glue it. They usually cut pretty easy with a razor or scissors.

7. Chance

This makes me happy! It's a sweet coral. I'll post pictures when I can.

8. Click Here!

9. Chance

I was also told not to expose it to air.. is this true?

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

No. Glueing them can be difficult as they slime up quite a bit when handled.I usually just pin it between two small pieces of rock and rubberband them together.

11. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I've heard this too, but have always exposed them without problems. I think they may get falsely lumped in with sponges in some cases which could lead to people saying that, or there could be specific species that I haven't dealt with that don't tolerate air well.

Where are the pictures?

12. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

its most definitely photosynthetic, and dont worry about air. I think that wives tale was created to make LFS feel better about killing gorgs all the time, since most are NPS they tend to fail in holding tanks and the owner can say, "Dangit Eli, I TOLD you not to expose it to air, this is coming out of your check!"