Purple mushroom looks bad!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Ryland, Nov 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I just want the shroom to be healthy. It doesnt seem to be doing well. I have never attempted to move anything. I know I cant move the tube worm so the shroom would be my only option.

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I'm not really sure that a feather duster can cause harm to a mushroom. I've never seen or had this happen to me.
    If you think this feather duster is irritating him, it would not be hard to just clip it off with your fingernails and when in doubt, this is what I would do.

Maybe someone else will contribute a little more.

- Mag.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You will bother the shroom more by moving it than the feather duster does. Honestly I really do not think the feather duster is the shrooms problem.

Mushrooms are very hardy, but they can react badly to changes in lighting, causing photoshock and bleaching, along with detaching.

5. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I agree Corailine. However, there has been no changes ( that I am aware of) in my tank. Other than the feather duster.....there have been no changes in the tank.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Well like magnus posted you can always just break off the tube, but the feather duster may just come back.

The only other thing I can think of is a preditory worm that comes out at night. Have you checked the tank at night with a flash light a couple hours after the lights go off. Check for polyclad worms as well. Besides that I got nothing.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I know there are worms in the tank that come out at night. I have seen them. White and red in color. Also there is a crab that only comes out at night. I have maybe seen it 3 times over 4 months. About the size of a quarter it is black and white stripped it runs for cover anytime there is movement in the room. I have never had any problems until now though.

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Good idea! This is how I found my hitchhiker crab!
    Did he get back to bleached color during daytime or lights on time? Check with a flash light tonight as coralline suggested. I think it's a very good start since we don't really know what's up. If you see anything, grab the rock and try to pull it out or off.

10. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

The shroom is fine from the morning until the evening. Late in the evening shorlty before the lights go out is when the mushroom seems to be having issues.

11. Barbarossa

Barbarossa Sea Dragon

Just grasping at straws here, but how much does your pH swing from morning to night?

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

just an idea, but maybe you think its a feather duster but it might be an aiptasia?