Purple mushroom looks bad!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Ryland, Nov 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Oh and I dont even know how to post pics on here....sorry!

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

That's fine, bud. I guess if the other two are looking fine, either something irritated the 3rd one or he's about to poop.
    Give us an update on the looks of him tomorrow.

- Mag.

4. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

By the way... are you dosing anything at all in the tank?

6. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

No...I dont put anything into my tank. Should I? And what?

7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

You don't necessarily need to put anything if you keep good husbandry with water changes in the tank. Water changes will export nutrients and will lower your ammonia and nitrates levels, among other things.

If you use a good salt mix, water changes is all you are going to need to keep a healthy salt water tank. If you have hard to keep corals like Acroporas or other hard skeleton corals, you may need to dose some additives to keep up with the demand of these corals, since they grow by forming a skeleton.
    A few things that have made my life easier with my salt reef tank are a protein skimmer, a sump and an ATO system (Automatic Top Off).
    Use RO or RO/DI water. Tap water can cause many issues and so does well water.
    Later, as I added more corals, I also installed an automatic doser for calcium and alkalinity. This helps keep my levels stable and corals do love stability.

Last, but not least, you should run active carbon to better the water quality. Active carbon will absorb toxins in the water that are bad for your fish and corals.

I'll look at your other posts to learn more about your setup. Maybe I can help you better once I learn how you're running your tank.

- Mag.

8. Click Here!

9. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

The shroom appears to be 100 percent better today. I dont know what the deal was yesterday but he is spread out and has all of his color back today.

10. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Magnus I use reef crystals salt mix. I have a reef octopus skimmer and yes I am going to have a sump. The tank I am referring to in this thread is my 29 gallon tank which will be my quarantine for my 125. I am in the process of building my 125. Hope to have it up and running by the end of the week.

11. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Okay I might have spoken too early. It appears as though there is a tube worm directly under the shrooms canopy. I have never seen this before and just noticed it today. The shroom was spread out and looked great again today but has since gone down hill. I finally noticed what looks like a feather duster fighting for space with the shroom. What should I do!???

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I do not anticipate a problem with the feather duster bothering the mushroom, at least it has never happend to me and I have never heard of it. Seems like an intervention would bother the shroom more. You could always pull the piece put some super glue gel over the feather duster if it seems like a problem.