purple/green candy cane help

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Night-Rida, Feb 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

well I purchased a birthday candy cane frag other day. once I got home I noticed 4 out of 7 heads look bad. skeleton is popping though bad. Ive placed the frag in sand and feed brine to the heads with plastic bottle over top. if I do this everyday and replace frag closer to lights will this recover? any other tips? the 3 good heads eat quick, others a little slow but look like their trying.

[​IMG]

you can really only see the 3 heads that are good, others are right behind it. I also notice this coral doesnt like current as it shows more of its skeleton.. should I take it out of the current?

2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

well its 4 out of 7 heads are looking a little puffer today. I guess the feeding helps.. and I took it out of direct flow from my Powerhead.

also my parms are:

1.026 salinity
    calcium: 380
    nitrate: 20
    nitrite: 0
    amon: 0
    phosphates: .025
    ph: 8.0
    temp: 76
    dkh: 15

4. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

well its been a week and looking a little better.. been feeding every other day with brine shrimp. but 2 little heads the purple rim is turning white. I dont know if thats bleaching.. but just to be cautious I moved it from the top of tank to the bottom. I now have it mounted into a little rock so its now postioned with all its 7 heads facing upwards towards the lights.. i'll keep you updated..

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I think you have made all the right moves now. good job

6. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

for some reason my candy cane has been the most trouble for me. i have it buried away from the current which did seem to help. the number one thing i did was stopped fussing. i stopped moving it around and just let fate do its thing and it's doing much better. if you have to move it, try not to touch the flesh at all.

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

strange how your having issues with the candy cane, i have found mine to be very easy, hopefully yours improves :)

maybe your PH is a tad to low for it? maybe try boosting it up to 8.3 to see if that does any difference

8. Click Here!

9. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

well arent you ms. master candy cane expert reef grower! lol my cane is purple arent your neon green? different type? mine were wounded when I bought them. so I am playing nurse to new coral. :)

well i just measured my ph its 8.0, and my lights just went out.. so its probly co2 buildup in the house.. but I'll put a little of my homemade buffer in for ya..

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

hahahaha :lol: arent all candy canes kind of the same though, just different color morphs, kind of like zoas. ohhhh and didnt know the poor little guys were wounded hopefully yours gets better once your done playing doctor to them :D

11. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

no... purple ones are better! lol I made a mistake when I bought them and didnt inspect all the heads, I could only see the top 3 big ones becuase at the LFS the display tank is a plastic bin at waist level with a 20k MH over them.. All I saw was purple and green, and ask how much... impulse buy. oh well there puffing up a little now under my crappy actinics.. I cant wait til next week when I get my new UVL 454 bulbs.. I'll definity take some update pics with those babys once installed.. should make them really pop. :kiss:

::):eek:8):eek:::)

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

id deffiently prefer a purple of a green mine are kind of dullish, dont really care for them, but hey their coral :) lol nothing wrong with impulse buys :D mine are alll impulse buys :D my lfs have the same kind of tanks really hard to get a good look at the coral. cant wait to see them under the new lights