Unresolved Purple fuzz?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by nightster, Mar 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nightster

nightster Pajama Cardinal

My mom sent me this picture, idk what it is. Its in my stepfathers 55g. Some kind of purple fuzz. Sorry I don't have more info.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

google beard algae (brush) and see if this is it. I am heading to a meeting otherwise I would link you a pic

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Is his tank fairly blue? What color is it under white light? Could it be closer to pink? Or maybe just the photo? I ask because it looks a lot like cotton candy algae.
    [​IMG]

5. nightster

nightster Pajama Cardinal

Well they have a wavepoint 4 bulb t5 with the stock bulbs, 2 10k and 2 actinics.

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

that cotton candy algae is pretty! i think i seen that on ebay? i looked the algae on ebay up and found it would become invasive ...but someone is selling it.

7. CrazyKonen05

CrazyKonen05 Plankton

Would look cool if you can manage to control it's spread.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

LOL, that's priceless ;D Well, I guess, in fairness though it may actually depends who their target market is. For example bubble algae is considered a nuisance in a reef tank, but in a macro algae tank, some people consider it desirable. I could see someone wanting to add it to a macro algae system. However, if they are marketing it to reef keepers, that's just wrong.

nightster, my best guess would still be CCA. If not, it is likely similar in many regards, so, they would probably still want to treat it as such.
    Here is one link: Patience by Sandra Shoup - Reefkeeping.com

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

nightster, i would remove that rock its on, i have a vine algae i have been fighting to get rid of in my tank it showed up on a coral. and wished i had just pulled the coral and threw it in the fug till i had that macro vine algae gone of the rock the coral was on. this vine still pops up in my tank even after i think its gone.

m2434 ...it was in a macro algae search i did. i have been adding non invasive macro algaes to my reef tank. to give it a more natural feel. well trying to... the clean up crew has been eatting them. it seems the invasive macro algae i want gone (since i worry it will take over) the clean up crew doesn't want, they prefer the algae you pay for.

11. rohitratnakaran

rohitratnakaran Astrea Snail

Hi,
    It looks like the beginning of filamentous brown algae. Check this site for a visual confirmation.
    Nuisance Algae ID Guide

12. ed4

ed4 Plankton

A nuisance algae I had many years back. Mexican turbo snails cleaned up what I didn't pull & syphon from the rocks.