PURIGEN - Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by godinuser, May 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. godinuser

godinuser Plankton

What are your experiences with PURIGEN (SEACHEM).

After reading the specs it seemed to good to be true, and it can be regenerated with bleach no less!

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I've used it and regenerated it with the bleach, yes it works as advertised. It can be regenerated because, if I remember correctly, it is resin.

4. Elebriend

Elebriend Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Actually uncle it isn't a resin that's why it works so well for me. It's basically a really porous organic filter, the reason you add the bleach is to litteraly burn the organics off. Love it, in my experience it gives the same results as with carbon but I don't have to worry bout the problems with carbon.

5. esqu37107

esqu37107 Bristle Worm

Been using it for about a year, It works good. Haven't bought any in a while, I just regenerate it :D

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

It's good stuff. It says what it does and it does what it says :D

7. Fish76

Fish76 Fire Worm

Seems to be working well in my tanks. You can see it working by its discolorization of the beads.

8. Click Here!

9. tronb24

tronb24 Coral Banded Shrimp

I've been using Chemi-Pure Elite for the last few months. I've been thinking about trying Purigen when it's time to replace my Chemi-Pure. I thought that Purigen could only be regenerated a certain amount of times. Is that not true? Also what are the things that one has to worry about with using carbon?

10. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Yes here is a excerpt; "
    [​IMG]

Purigen
    Product Description
    Purigen™ is a premium synthetic adsorbent that is unlike any other filtration product. It is not a mixture of ion exchangers or adsorbents, but a unique macro-porous synthetic polymer"

I used resin as a simple reference, it's a polymer.

11. Fish76

Fish76 Fire Worm

Yeah, I remember reading on a Seachem forum and the tech said it could be regenerated about 6-10 times before becoming completely exhausted. It's suppose to last around 3-6mon per regen (depending on load), so it should last a good amount of time. The stuff isn't too expensive also.

12. tronb24

tronb24 Coral Banded Shrimp

So how does Purigen stack up against Chemi-Pure or any other decent grade carbon for removing toxins release by corals?