Purigen Question?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by crustytheclown, Mar 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

so i have been running purigen in my system for six months now and think its time to replace it or regenerate the old stuff. My question is do i need this in my system? I was planning on using some Seachem SeaGel ( Organic and Phosphate Control) it rapidly removes phosphates Silicates and organic waste. so do i need to use the Purigen?
    any thoughts

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I started using Purigen when my nitrates were pretty high, and it really helped bring them down. So I still use it. Can't see what it would hurt to have the extra filtration in there.

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

+1 on KcBrad

I started using Purigen when my nitrates where at 10ppm and it helped to reduce them to 0 - 0.25 ( Hippo, Red Sea and Sera test kits) Yep I have 3 Nitrate test kits as I dont take 0 at face value and like to triple check it

the great thing with chemical media is you can vary what your using any time you feel a different need

I run Purigen 24/7 and have 2 spare pouches that I put in whilst the other 2 are doing the 50/50 bleach RODI dip and then RODI dip)

but I also like to use Carbon and GFO
    I use all 3 products at same time (different locations) on the big tank

but on my 5 gallon Nano with an HOB filter - I have Purigen/ GFO in for 3 weeks and then run a week of carbon which works out OK IME on the smaller set up

Steve