Purigen bags

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by RichardinMa, Jan 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RichardinMa

RichardinMa Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

To those of you that use Purigen- what bags do you use to contain it? The mesh bags I have let it through so I just got some pantyhose to try but some still sifts through that as well. I bought the cheapest pantyhose I could find so I don't know if the more expensive ones have a tighter weave. Any suggestions on brands that contain it well would be appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

hi Richard

I do use pantyhose but you need to carefully inspect the seams /stitching otherwise if they split your tank gets peppered in the stuff
    and I always change to a new one after the bleaching/ soak treatment to renew in case any of the washing and rinsing has damaged the seams at all

if you purchase the 100 grammes size it comes in a mesh pouch and for my smaller set up I am happy with the convenience this gives me.
    if you purchase the 250 size then you get in in tubs

Seachem have a product called "The Bag" which is designed to accomodate the product

if you have the product in an area of water flow in the sump or in a cannister , then provided it is not a crazy flow rate, the pantyhose should keep in in place provided the seams are not compromised

Steve

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

Purigen make there own bags just for this, any store that sells it in the larger amount should have the bag.

5. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

home depot sells micron bags for very cheap. they are not as fine as the micron bags at your LFS but they will probably be about $10 cheaper. I think the really good micron bags at my LFS are like $15+? Where as I paid like $3 for mine at home depot.

I use mine for holding about 12 tablespoons of high grade active carbon in a medium flow area

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

7. RichardinMa

RichardinMa Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks. I did see the Seachem bags but hoped the pantyhose would work. The beads don't pour out, but some did come through as I was rinsing it. I think I will need to the one of "The Bags" before I use it in a high flow filter.

8. Click Here!

9. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

it says what the ml are maybe you can find a cheaper brand bag with the same specs

10. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

I have always just used the regular carbon bags and just doubled up on them and I have never had an issue with any of it getting out of the bags that way

11. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

Even the purigen that comes in its own bag will have a few beads come out of the pouch when you rinse it. As long as its not in a super high flow area it shouldn't leak into your tank. I wonder if doubling up the panty hose would work?