Purified Water and Instant Ocean Salt

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by clownfish, Oct 16, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

I have a doubt, if I buy my water at one of those places that specialize in water (where you would buy pure water) and I then mix it with Isntant Ocean Salt, would this be a good alternative instead of buying it at my LFS? I'm asking, 'cause this water place sells it for 40 cents a gallon, compared to the LFS's a buck and change per gallon....which I'm sure (I could be wrong) uses some sort of salt mix and RO water to fill their tanks. What do you guys think?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

The best alternative is to buy a rodi and mix your own salt but buying the ro water and mixing the salt yourself is ok.

4. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

:eek: STAY WELL CLEAR OF THAT LFS! --- that guy is ripping customers off.

You can mix yourself much much cheaper...If you don't want to use own tapwater (with a conditioner)...get a RO/DI unit, which in your case, will pay for itself very quickly!!

6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

7. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

If you are going to buy water from ANYPLACE it would be a good practice to always check it with a TDS meter before using it. Too much time and money spent on all this tuff to take chances.

Shoot...just go buy an RODI unit for 100 bucks.

8. Click Here!

9. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

I'm no RODI expert(I'll leave that to others here.:)), but a word of warning if you plan to use instant ocean salt. I've heard and experienced some negative things with that brand. Others may have had better luck with it, but just in case you might want to try Tropic Marin( a little more expensive) or Oceanic(relatively the same price)

10. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

I use Instant ocean and have not found any problems with it yet. Tropic Marin and Red Sea I think are among the best but Instant Ocean work fine for me and is cheaper.

11. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

I'm glad to know that there are some here that haven't had a problem with it. Perhaps it's just one of those things that goes wrong for one person, but gets an exaggerated bad rap.:)

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I just started using IO mix. What are some negative things you are talking about?