Pump too strong.....

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Anthos312, Jun 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

I disagree, I think the size of the pump is appropriate.

If there is no air in the U-tube, then I wonder if the problem could be due to the plumbing between the overflow and sump? Sometimes if you use vinyl tubing and the tubing sags because it is not supported, the max flow rate between the display/aquarium is reduced.

Edit: just wanted to note that I use a dialed back Mag9.5 on a 600 GPH u-tube overflow. Since there is no air in siphon, the u-tube is not the problem here.

2. Click Here!

3. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

There should not be any plumbing issues between the overflow and the sump. Its all 1" PVC with 45 degree bends to reduce back pressure.

I cannot simply just add another drain line either. These eshopps overflow boxes either have 2 bulkheads or 1. And if you have a model with 1, there is no space to add another.

4. Larz_1

Larz_1 Bristle Worm

Hmm ... something is not right with the overflow.

I am running a Mag 9.5 and an Eshoops PF-800 on my 60 gallon tank with a 29 gallon sump. About 4.5 ft to the top of the tank from the pump.
    I run my Mag 9.5 wide open with no problems at all. I even have a Hofer gurggle buster setup in the overflow which does restrict it some.

Are you using the foam filter in the overflow?
    If so - remove it and see if that helps.

5. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

I am using the foam filter. Does it matter what height the black box is inside the display tank? This is what determines how high the water level in the tank will be correct?

6. Larz_1

Larz_1 Bristle Worm

I run the skimmer box high enough that the water level in the tank is above the bottom of the tank trim, so that I do not see the water line. The top of the teeth are about 1/16" below the top of the tank.

I could maybe see a problem if you set it too high .... the U-tube might be too close to the bottom of the skimmer box, restricting or blocking the flow.
    Or, the skimmer box is just too high and the water level wants to overflow the tank.

You could try setting the level at the lowest height, just to see if that helps your flow, and then adjust from there.

7. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

I will try lowering the box. Its definately not close enough to overflowing the tank however the flow through the tube does seem a bit slow.

If i cant figure out why the flow is not increasing I will just have to T my return off and send some of the return water with a ball valve restriction back to the sump. My main concern is that my pump is going to overpower my overflow and the display will overflow.

I have already unplugged my return multiple times and this Eshopps overflow works as it claims. It automatically starts the overflow up again when the power to the return is brought back. However, what if the power of the return is working fine, but enough bubbles accumulate in the U-tube and the siphon stops?

What happens then?

I think I am going to install a float switch in my display as a final fail safe and program it on my reefkeeper to cut off my return pump if the float switch is triggered. It will be placed right below the top of the tank line.

8. Click Here!

9. Larz_1

Larz_1 Bristle Worm

If the overflow is operating properly, the flow through the U-tube should be fast enough that bubbles will NOT accumulate - mine never has any bubbles in the U-tube.

If bubbles do accumulate in the U-tube, it means the overflow box is not flowing properly. The bubbles can eventually cause the U-tube to loose siphon or not resume after a power outage.

What about the drain pipe in the sump ... is it above the water surface, below the water surface?

I had mine below the water and had some issues with it draining properly.
    I shortened it to be above the water, but it was just too loud and splashed too much. Then I put a 90 elbow on the end so that it is about half in/half out of the water and that seemed to work the best.

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Take some pictures of your plumbing, sounds like that is the problem to me. Every 45 degree elbow and fitting adds resistance to flow or headloss and that may be the issue.

Adding a tee and returning flow to the sump is not a good idea as it increases the work the pump must do, raising both power consumption and heat generationm, and will definitely increase the noise level.

That overflow when set up properly should match the pump perfectly with no valve on the return to retrict flow.

11. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

It is above the water surface.

12. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Well it wouldnt raise the noise level since there would be less backflow on the pump. Currently it is so loud because i have it dialed back so much. The moment i open the valve more it gets incredibly quiter. I will definately be keeping a valve on this setup. I do not want any chance that the return will be pumping quicker the overflow can handle and i like lower flow patterns so i will still have it dialed back a little.

I will post pics of setup when i can.