Pump too strong.....

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Anthos312, Jun 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

I have finally completed setting up the sump. I started it up yesterday and it seems as though for my Eshoppos overflow PF-800 to keep up with my return pump..... I have to dial my pump (mag 9) back almost all the way. In fact its dialed back so far that it makes a loud running sound (like turning on a pump out of water). The moment i increase the flow the sound eases away. But if i turn it up, its pumping so much water my overflow cant handle it and my display will flood.

I think everyone may have recommended too large of a pump for me....

I think my best solution is to add a "T" to my return line and put a ball valve there with some of the return water emptying back into the sump allowing less back pressure on the pump.

Could the distance from the ball valve (which adjusts the pumps outflow) to the pump be an issue? I have mine placed at about 9 " from the outflow of the pump.

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

t back into the sump is the best, that way you don't have to put any pressure on the pump. As it loses efficiency you'll probably be glad you have the extra power. You could also plumb in a manifold to handle any reactors.

1 person likes this.
  4. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Actually I believe putting a T on the return is actually worse than just dialing it back.
    Reason being is if you T it back to the sump the pump is still working to push all that water. More power consumption.
    A lot of pumps these days (danner mag drives for example) actually are more efficient if you put a little back pressure on them by using a ball valve.

Oh and it doesn't matter how far away from the pump you put the ball valve. It will be the same back pressure wherever you put it.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I believe you mean mag 9.5. Don't think they make a Mag 9 but I could be wrong. Your overflow is rated at 800 gph. Your pump is rated for 950 gph. Who told you to get such a big pump?:confused: You can try ting it back into your sump or add another siphon tube to the overflow.Mag drive pumps are notorious for being extremely loud when back pressure is applied to them.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

If your overflow is set up and primed correctly, you should not need to dial the pump back that far. Keep in mind that the higher the flow, the higher the water level will be in the DT (up to app 1/4 to 1/2 inch), but it will balance and maintain that level.

1 person likes this.
  7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Agree; something doesn't make sense here.

Either you've got your overflow set up incorrectly, or you're not really getting 800gph out of it. You don't have any restrictions on the drain line, correct? Did you prime it?

8. Click Here!

9. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

How many feet is the plumbing?
    A 9.5 is rated at 800gph at 4 ft head.
    Agree, Somethings weird here. Bubble in overflow tube maybe?

10. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

I got a mag 9.5 because i might upgrade to a larger tank eventually.

What is the method of priming the overflow?

The pump itself is not that loud, but literally I have to have the ball valve almost closed to keep the return rate under the max overflow rate.

11. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

It is at 4.5 feet.

There is not air in the overflow tube and there are no restrictions.

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Add another siphon tube to it and it will increase the flow through the overflow.