Pump Suggestion

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by APC, Oct 8, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Hi,

As I continue to look into upgrading my tank, I have a come up with a couple of questions. First, can any one suggest a good, submersible water pump? I am looking for one with a 1 inch output. It needs to be large enough to support a 65 gallon tank. It is looking like the pump will need to push the water to about a 4 foot head. My second question is do you all use any sort of back flow prevention on your systems to keep the sump from overflowing in the event of a power loss? If so, what do you use?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Mag Drive submersible pumps, I believe, are the best and are very quiet.
    I make sure that my sump reservoir is low enough after I turn off the return pump to take on the added water draining from the main tank!
    Tank length(inches)x tank width(inches)x1
    divide that from 231
    =volume drained to sump when the main pump is shut off!
    Add 40% to this calculation for the extra volume of your sump to cover a rise in the tank's water level due to gradual blockage of the drain.
    hope this helps!

4. GINNY

GINNY Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Make a 1/8 Hole in your return line going to your tank !!! Just below your water line .
    This way when the power goes off . It will stop your tank from emptying in to your sump.... through your pump ...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  5. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

I use a swing type check valve. Check out the plumbing section of
    www.marinedepot.com. If you do decide to use one, get the true union type and clean it once or twice a year. They work great and have different sizes.