Pump size

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by starfish2217, Jul 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

That makes sense I will just have the drains open and have it go into the skimmer and have the return how I have it but going into the fuge instead.

2. Click Here!

3. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Yep, I like this alot better than splitting drains. Alot more reliable IMO.

4. starfish2217

I shouldn't have to replumb the whole thing right? just fix the one drain make it have no flow and switch the tee from the return going into the fuge..

My only concern is that when I make it so the drain has no restriction that I still won't have the correct size pump to balance it out and the overflow won't have enough water in it.

5. insanespain

The overflow will have the same amount of water in it. The drains will only drain as fast as the pump is returning water. The drains should have no restriction at all, they will just drain whatever water your pump is pushing to the display.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

6. starfish2217

That makes sense but when my over flow gets to low it makes this horrible gurgling noise, so the water has to be at a certain level for it to run without making that noise.

7. insanespain

Unfortunately with traditional standpipes I believe that is just part of it. I'm very unfamilar with traditional setups like yours, since I just built my first sump setup and I went with a bean animal setup. I noticed there are tees where the drains come out of the overflow box. Are they sealed with caps on top, or is there some sort of a vent hole?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. Click Here!

9. starfish2217

I wish I had just built my own and I wouldn't be having these problems.. I can make it so it doesn't gurgle. If it does then its not right there is way to much air going into the sump and causes micro bubbles Im pretty sure that these are meant to be fully submerged by water... and the T is actually the return the drain lines arent T'd on the outside, but I believe they are sealed but I dont see any vent holes..

10. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

insanespain is right, there should be vent holes that are adjustable. That is most likely your problem.

1 person likes this.
  11. insanespain

No, in the picture you posted, the drains are t'd on the outside with a cap on top. They are the 2 pipes in the center. Your returns are the pipes on the outsides that are fed by the flexible line.

1 person likes this.
  12. insanespain

Yeah if hers are sealed like she says I can see alot of problems. I'm having trouble helping her since I'm only familiar with a bean animal. But if its possible, I would put a down turned street elbow on the intakes inside the overflow box, and then drill a vent hole in the top of each cap. I believe its called a "Durso" standpipe. Sorry if i'm not explaining this well.