Pump priming

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by dienerman, Nov 9, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

So i picked up a Hammerhead external pump that will be used to pump from a sump in my basement to my DT one floor above. My question is with priming the pump. If I have it set up above the sump instead of drilling the tank, will the time it takes to prime the pump do damage since it will be dry for a brief period of time. I would think that I would need to shut it down once a month or so for water changes.

2. Click Here!

3. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Centrifugal aquarium pumps will not suck water up. The pump should be mounted below the sump water surface and plumbed to the sump using a bulkhead fitting. Some try an up and over type suction but they are asking for trouble if the piping develops an air bubble and the pump loses suction. If it is worth doing it is worth doing right the first time.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    RoloSaez likes this.
  4. dienerman

Looks like Im building a shelf next to the tank then. Thanks AZDR!

5. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

I tried that once in the beginning. It didn't work out too well. You should drill the tank. It's a safer set up for that type of pump.

6. dienerman

I was probably going to drill it anyway, the thought just came up as a part of a discussion i was having with a few people as I was mocking up the sump area.