Urgent Pump Issue

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by andru1313, Feb 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. andru1313

andru1313 Purple Spiny Lobster

Ok just got back from vacation late last night. Noticed everything in my tank looked hungry. I got in late so passed out. Woke up early and noticed my tank was way to quiet. I look and see no water movement. Pump is dead. I have Rio+ 600 and its not even a year old.

How long is my tank ok with out a pump? Also should I upgrade to a bigger or better kind of pump. This is the 2nd pump in 2 years I have gone through.. Thanks.

I have a 24g nano tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Did you take the pump apart and clean the impeller and magnet. If not I would do that. Regarding the size I do not know.

Lastly you need some water movement, if that is the only pump you need some backup asap. The tank will not last long without a functioning pump IMO.

4. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Do you have any other filters in the tank? Pumps give out oxygen in the water which fish need..Im not really sure how long they have but i know its not 2 days..The tank needs some type of oxygen flow in it.

I personally dont like Rio's, i have had some problem like you are saying, them just shutting off for no reason..I would take it out and take it apart at clean it really fast in some viniger and water for about an hour(i have done water changes and need a powerhead out of the DT and i would have no water flow for about an hour and the fish were okay) or 30 minutes or so. Then just take it out and rinse it and put it back together and run it again and see if it works..My rio would stop pushing water for no reason somtimes and i would just take it out ofthe water and bang on it with my hand once or twice and it would start up again.

5. andru1313

Store opens in about 3 hours.. I will pull apart the pump as well.. I have a power head in there so water is being moved just not thru the filter. UGH i have no clue how long its been down....

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It's going to depend on the bioload in that tank. Hopefully there's a powerhead running that is breaking the surface of the water that is still running. However, if you don't have one and have a medium or high bioload, you need to be standing at the door when your LFS opens this morning.

7. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Okay, well as long as you have a power head in the water thats fine..

I would point it up towards the surface and let it kinda break the surface of the water a little bit for better oxygen flow.

8. Click Here!

9. andru1313

UPDATE.. I just did what everyone said. I pulled the thing apart and cleaned the inside started pumping again. I don't trust it so want it gone. But least it will hopefully work for a few hours until the LFS opens. I am thinking of replacing with the MaxiJet 1200... I am done with Rio Brand. Thoughts?

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Don't throw it in the trash. I'm going to put up a poll about powerhead maintenance today. Chances are, this pump can be saved.

11. doog

doog Peppermint Shrimp

any luck getting the rio going again? if it hasn't been broken down and cleaned, it may just be jammed up with calcium deposit. a good vinegar soak and then scrub for the impeller and surrounding chamber can get you going again pretty quickly (15 - 20 min)

i dont run a nano, but a $14 dollar powerhead doesn't seem like it would be very durable. If you have the space and cash, something like an eheim or mag2 pump would give you the same flow but alot more reliability - i've had a couple of mag pumps running for nearly 4 years without any failures.

good luck - hope the tank pulls thru

edit - sorry, i must have been typing when the last 2 posts happened. but think about the other pumps.

12. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

Maxijet is a solid pump,mag drive pumps are aswell.