Pulsing Xenia vs. Scissors

Discussion in 'Frags' started by missionsix, Mar 31, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

So, I'll be taking some scissors to my Xenia again. Heck, I might need a lawnmower(cuttingras?). I've got such a healthy colony it's rediculous. Just a couple of words of advice to anyone that hasn't owned Xenia and is interested in it.
    1. Placement of these corals is key. They can overtake surrounding corals.
    2. They like current and use it to spread in the direction of flow.
    3. Don't be afraid to frag it and give it away. It frags very easy and will sprout new growth even if you put it in a meat grinder.
    4. It stinks when you touch it (especially when fragging)
    5. It's a great beginner coral
    6. They are good at indicating water quality issues when polyps close(stay closed) more than usual.
    7. Don't freak out if the piece you bought doesn't pulse in your tank even if it pulsed in the store. It's mysterious and may stop for no reason.
    Mine pulses like crazy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. chase19

chase19 Feather Duster

i want lol;D;D;D

4. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

I have that xenia as well 'recently" in the past was never really attracted to it , but it does real well in my tank and has already "split" and gone to another rock' but i did put mine directly under my metal halide , like 3 inches below the water line' , if it continues to do well ' i'm going to give a whole lot away' me thinks'.. lol
    and i agree it's very easy to cut/frag
    this stuff will crawl , quite amazing to to watch such a seemingly simple orgnism decide to grow' and "crawl" in a direction it likes

5. missionsix

quite amazing to to watch such a seemingly simple orgnism decide to grow' and "crawl" in a direction it likes(QUOTE)

Kinda sucks, It's tearin' after 2 of my good zoa rocks(in two directions). Luckily they are moveable. I'll find out what happens to the kenya tree.

6. missionsix

Well the Xenia put up a fight. Ultimately the scissors won. I did loose grip on one and it got away and I can't find it. Hopefully( I'm sure it will) it'll find a good spot and start growing behind my rockwork and up my tank. I did cut 4 good size stalks. One of the frags is already starting to open. "Man that stuff smells like !@#$".

7. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

i threw up in my mouth when i first fragged mine......

8. Click Here!

9. Chucky

Chucky Flamingo Tongue

I like the xenia, i cant wait to get some!! really nice looking stuff there mission!

1 person likes this.
  10. rayman007

rayman007 Astrea Snail

I love the stuff. Thanks to Missionsix66 I have some aswell. I just picked up some redsea xenia and it looks great. I am about to frag it agin.
    mother
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    frag
    [​IMG]
    red-sea
    [​IMG]

11. missionsix

Looks like Ray took some scissors to his as well. Nice pics! I'm having minor issues with my frags. Got it covered though.

12. totter0817

totter0817 Purple Spiny Lobster

I'm really beginning to hate my xenias. I have two and they look different from each other. One is all brownish and the other one has a whitish/green to the polyps. I wish I could just chop them up with scissors just to get rid of them. Mine always quit pulsing no matter where I put them and they look so non attractive after I get them home. The second time I bought a xenia I was hoping it was going to be different than my first but nope. Mine are pretty stuck on my rocks, I don't think there is a chance of my getting them off. Any advice?