"pulsing" Xenia.. Do they all pulse?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by oBEA5To, Sep 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oBEA5To

oBEA5To Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have a xenia who is super healthy and polyps fully extended and likes to move to the right to get some flow from the filter when the lights are on and when they are off it stand straight up and takes a break from the flow. My question is do all xenia pulse or have the capabilitly of pulsing? Mine has not pulsed once and the guy said it was pulsing xenia but is it only certain xenia species that pulse? Heres a picture.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Yours looks like a pulsing xenia to me....I thought most xenia did pulse but could be totally wrong.

4. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

Iodine dosing or just proper/high levels of iodine seem to make them pulse more, What are you tank param's and what do you dose "if anything"

5. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

My colony of xenia sometimes doesn't pulse for extended periods of time. Other times they pulse like crazy, or pulse like lazy. LOL They have a mind of their own that way. I've never been able to pin down a direct link between tank conditions and their pulsing rate.

If you search on-line, you'll see that they are very hit or miss. They grow like weeds for some people, and just melt away for others.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I also believe water chemistry play a part in whether they pulse.

IME xenia tends to pulse more at higher pH's and in the presence of iodine.

With that said I would not dose iodine unless you research it thoroughly first and can test for the correct type of iodine.

7. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I have two tanks,one lighted with m/h that has xenia pulsing and growing like weed.I just moved some to the smaller tank lighted by t-5 and it is doing fine but not pulsing.I use the same salt mix for both tanks and I don't dose anything.It's weird stuff.

8. Click Here!

9. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

Yes I do agree that you shouldn't dose anything you cant test for, However a few drops of lugols iodine typically wont hurt anything since it's not going to overdose anything with just a few drops

10. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

I just got a frag of it this weekend and it's been pulsing nicely since I spotted it in the store. That being said, I think it's already grown a bit in the 3 days it's been in my tank, yikes!

11. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

My pulsing xenia won't pulse if the flow is too fast.

12. dimpthepimp

dimpthepimp Bristle Worm

mine did as soon as i put led on it. not it just grows outta control with no pulsing in the slow current...funny:confused: