Pulsing xenia care

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by BTB0923, Sep 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BTB0923

BTB0923 Flamingo Tongue

I just got three frags of pulsing xenia and I'm wondering if they will be bothered by the high flow rate in my tank. I'm having trouble finding a place in the tank where all of the polyps are not in some kind of heavy flow that makes them work a little harder (sometimes much harder) at opening and closing....is this ok?

2. Click Here!

3. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

They'll be fine. They just won't pulse as much in high flow.

Where's the pics?

1 person likes this.
  4. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

If they are still out and opening and closing then they should be fine. If they start not coming out or not opening and closing I would worry. Pics?

5. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Xenia is hit or miss, from what ik they like low flow BUT will be fine in higher flow,just keep an eye on it.

1 person likes this.
  6. BTB0923

BTB0923 Flamingo Tongue

Give me a sec and I will post a vid....

1 person likes this.
  7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Ooh vid is even better:)

8. Click Here!

9. BTB0923

BTB0923 Flamingo Tongue

This is the frag out of the three that I am the most concerned about. If you look close you can see some of the polyps on the bottom having a bit harder time opening and closing....

1 person likes this.
  10. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Thanks for the video. I have the same kind. Mine are in about the same amount of current if not a little more.

Sure, they're all small and cute now but their goal in life is to take over your tank. Make sure the rock you place them on is about 4 inches from any other rock so they can't bend over and reach another rock and grab hold. They also grow up a rock much faster than they can grow down. Make sure you don't have any corals higher up the rock or they will get smothered.

1 person likes this.
  11. BTB0923

BTB0923 Flamingo Tongue

Oh yeah?? I thought it seemed like there was an awful lot of them in the guys tank that I got them from. lol This is only the third kind of coral I am putting in the tank so I am a real newb. If they do start to grow out of control can I remove them and put them on different rocks to give away?

1 person likes this.
  12. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Yes and no.

You can certainly cut them and frag them but they always grow back. You can try pulling them out with tweezers bit if you leave one cell behind they come back. Kind of like aiptasia that way.

They are beautiful indeed but you need to prevent them from taking over. Make sure they can't reach your glass/acrylic.

1 person likes this.