pulseing xenias

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by tresguey, Nov 22, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

i have already some pulseing xenias in my tank. but saw a plant at a lfs that had a group of them on it. i bought the plant for 9 dollars. my question is, should i try and remove them from the plant and attach to a piece of lr. or should i just let it alone and place them by a rock? i have never tried to frag anything if that what it would be called.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Depends on the plant? I try never to put macro algaes into my display tank as they can grow rather quickly and overtake just about everything.

Removing the xenia from the plant should be easy enough to do if that's what you decide. Carefully peel the base of the coral off the plant, get a small pop bottle and cut the bottom off. Punch several holes in the bottom of the pop bottle and clean it very well (remove the label too). Fill the bottle bottom with some a few small pieces of rock rubble, place the container in a very low flow area of the tank and put your xenia into the container. They should attach to the rock in a few days.

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

[quote author=amcarrig link=board=Coral;num=1101197530;start=0#1 date=11/23/04 at 05:59:07]a small pop bottle [/quote]

Glass or plastic?

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

6. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

i love the look of xenias with sps corals.

7. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

thanks for the advice amcarrig, i thought i could just peel it off i was just scared to do it and didn't know how to attach it. one of my freinds said that i could superglue it to a rock. i heard about people doing that a well but i really didn't think it was a good idea. so thanks again.

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Superglue works good for stony corals but because soft corals tend to slime up when you handle them, the glue won't stick to them.

10. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

thanks again, do you know of any web site on learning to frag?

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

12. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp