Pukani Rock Volume How Much Is Enough?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by LarryS, Sep 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rainmkr07

rainmkr07 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

great thread. about to order some pukani from BRS myself. it's the best rock out there IMO.

2. Click Here!

3. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Final Aquascape With Pukani Now Installed

OK. So, here's is the final aquascape version now also glued where needed. Saltwater will start going into the tank either tonight or tomorrow! Yippee! :)

Here's the link to my album: [​IMG]

4. crenfrow524

crenfrow524 Plankton

I have a 40 gallon breeder and 25 pounds from BRS almost did not fit into my tank. It is a lot more rock than I thought it would be.

5. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

I definitely think it's a good idea to really think ahead when buying rock. I'm very pleased I invested lots of extra time into researching rock volume - BRS's rule-of-thumb is that the Pukani is about 1.5x the rock volume of the denser rock, e.g., Fiji.

I think what I have is just about right for the 65g but could have gone a little lighter.

6. crenfrow524

crenfrow524 Plankton

Yeah, I also did read that and figured it out to be 25 pounds for 37.5 gallons of water. I thought that is close to 40, I don't really want a lot of rock in the tank so maybe less is better... well now I think i should have went 20 pounds and figured it to 2x and not 1.5x.

7. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Have to also take into account the inside dimension of the tank volume which is actually less than the 40g as well as displacement from the rock volume and the substrate. Tricky to get it just right.

As others have mentioned here, better to have more than less... can sell trade, use as rubble or whatever. That said, I understand wanting to nail the number. Still from what I understand still better to have more than less in the tank. I've seen established display reefs that seem almost all rock!