Pukani Rock Volume How Much Is Enough?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by LarryS, Sep 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I agree with every post above about how wrong that guy is. You take standard 5 lb. live rock and compare to the BRS pukani dry rock and the BRS rock will be much larger.

Guy is probably trying to sell you his live rock over ordering stuff online.

You will love the BRS rock as you can see in pictures above. If you order a bit to much who cares? It might cost you an extra $50; in the grand sceme of a saltwater reef tank that $50 is a drop in the bucket. The advantages out way the cons by far, like more rock to choose from when scaping, throw some in the sump, sell/trade left over rock to local reefers, use the rock to frag stuff.

2. Click Here!

3. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Actually since you don't need to buy as many pounds you should break even or even save some money. I know I save a bit over the other kind of rock, especially since I had a cupon code to use.

4. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

This is a GREAT thread!

Everything here makes lots of sense - great ideas, feedback, and photos. :)

Frankly, at some point today (based on a suggestion elsewhere) I started leaning toward Florida rock ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae (which also has a strong reputation and cheerleaders) - they've been good about responding to questions and have a strong educational section. That said, their rock from what I am hearing is denser...their suggesting 85 lbs. The price is very comparable but I'd rather work with lighter weight rock.

So, I pulled the trigger with BRS for 55 lbs. because the Pukani is what I seem to been most attracted to for all the positive reasons we've been discussing: porosity, volume:weight, aesthetics, cost, ... I'm sure I've left something out.

I was also lucky enough to get into a group buy that ended today... on top of which a $5 off coupon that BRS sent my way.

Best part yet: within 20 minutes or so of placing the order, BRS called me (in response to a note I included about large pieces) and spent 15 minutes picking my brain so to be sure that they were sending me rock that would suit my scape visions! And, they suggested sending me 3 rocks @ 20 lbs ea. that I could break anyway I want! That's 5 lbs free! Too cool. :)

And, I'm sure from what you guys are saying... I will have more than I can use.

I'm really excited! This is my first tank since the days of slate bottom stainless frames -that dates me!

Thanks guys! :thumb_up: :thumb_up:

5. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Congrats
    They also sell the FL base rock too and they state it is denser than the Pukani.
    I included a note with my order telling them it was for a 4'l x 2'd x 2'h 120 gallon tank (my tank is 1" shy of that in the depth measurement but close enough)and got some nice big piecs.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  6. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Interesting... I didn't see it at BRS.

7. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

I'ts on thier BRS TV ;D

8. Click Here!

9. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Not seeing it for sale on BRS or I would have discussed with them.

10. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Photos, Finally

The rock arrived... on-time, within a few days of my order... lost track as to when, but the bottom-line is the results to date:

First set of photos I am posting is of 3 large Pukani rocks ordered and received from BRS.

Tallest rock is 18 inches.

Total weight: 57 lbs
    Water Displacement: measured at approx. 5 gallons

Tank: 65g 36x18x24

Attached Files:

11. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

This set of photos are close-ups of the same rock above.

Attached Files:

12. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

This set is after having placed all 57 lbs of Pukani in the 65g DT save for the rubble that was created as a result of chiseling and sawing one of the 3 'boulders' into smaller rocks for aquascaping.

This is the fun part! Finally, we are doing something inside the tank and not to or around the tank (plumbing, stand build, etc etc etc). Yippee!! ;D

The aquascape is a work in progress, feedback desired an appreciated especially as this is my first attempt. Please note the the large rocks on the far left and right (in the tank) are whole pieces - very stable. The rock between them are the smaller pieces I created and have yet to be glued - not sure if I can successfully drill the Pukani or not... if I can, would like to attach the largest ones using plastic coat hanger as dowels.

:) :)

Attached Files: