Pukani Rock Volume How Much Is Enough?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by LarryS, Sep 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I put 8.5lbs in a 5g tank and it's pretty crowded, LOL.

2. Click Here!

3. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

I like what you did (but cannot find the link to your photo to link or post here....)

Just that I would like it taller.

4. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

I ordered 61 lbs for my 113g (4' x 23" x 2' tall) and it was too much, by about 12 lbs, but you can always put the extra in your sump. My extra piece is a huge (larger than a basketball) size piece that will probably end up in my 46 gallon tank.
    Also note this was dry Pukani from BRS.

The left over piece is in the back on the left.
    [​IMG]

This is probably the scape I'll go with but use the small piece that's on the back left one to isolate some xenia on the sandbed. The bowfront in the background is 24" tall.
    (The board the rock is sitting on is approx the footprint of the tank it's going in)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  5. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

heres the pic, i dont know how much more you could really fit without it looking completely packed. i might even take some out.
    45 lbs.
    [​IMG]

6. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

These are awesome pieces of rock! I love the texturing... and the look almost no matter how you lay it out.

This really provides a great perspective on the volume:weight ratio. :)

Did you get these on-line or from a LFS?

7. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Thank you! :)

8. Click Here!

9. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

So, here's a new wrinkle. Just spoke with a contact at the Hidden Reef (in PA). They say that the volume-to-weight ratio is *not* the consideration. This from a seasoned veteran with several reef and fowlrs in his home.

He told me that the "guideline" of a minimum of 1 lb per gallon is fixed regardless of the rock, e.g., Fiji, Pukani, or whatever. When I questioned that thinking (as the Pukani is more porous, which in my mind translates to more surface area), his comeback was the "volume" of rock is the key to having enough surface area to grow the beneficial organisms et al.

Adding to the confusion aka contradictory advice, BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) who sells the rock recommends using only .75 lb per gallon and 1.5 per gallon of denser rocks.

:confused:

10. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

I don't think that's right at all. 65lbs of brick is not going to have the surface area of 65lbs of pukani. I think he is horribly wrong with that info.

11. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

I needed to hear that! Seems so obvious. Like saying 1 lb of sponge has the same surface are of a 1 lb marble.

Thanks for the reality check.

12. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Look at all the holes and and such of the Pukani rock that all equals greater surface area. It seems that the person you spoke to knows nothing of math or science.

Another way to put it is to take a brick of cheese, cut it into sticks then drop them randomly so they create a haphazzard web of sticks.
    The sticks of cheese have far more surface area than the whole brick did just by virtue of being in sticks ,since much of what was the interior of the brick is now on the surface, and now when tossed together take up more volume as well.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011