Puffers and Anemones???

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by IDESONE, Jul 26, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IDESONE

IDESONE Plankton

I was wondering if my porcupine puffer and my niger trigger would nip at an anemone. I kept my maroon clown from my reef tank when i shut it down and moved up to this 55 gallon. I was wanting to get him another anemone if the other two fish will not eat it. I know I'm gonna have to get more lighting to keep it. Any help would be nice.
    Thanks in advance
    James

2. Click Here!

3. Aqua World Clif

Aqua World Clif Plankton

Hi again. Seems that I'm just going down the list answering questions today. I probably should have mentioned; both triggers and puffers are known to "pick" at their surroundings. Things like coral, anemones, etc. generally don't fare so well as inhabitants; although there are certainly exceptions!

I would maybe buy a small, cheap caribbean anemone to use as a try-out. If neither trigger nor puffer pick at it, it may be safe to add others.

Let me know how you make out with this.

~ Clifton

4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Not a good idea James. If you look at corals, some resemble an anemone. If they are known to pick at coral... hummm... he might just nip at an anemone. I guarantee you it will look tasty to the puffers and triggers.

I say NO. ;D

5. czieler

czieler Astrea Snail

I have a green spotted puffer and a valentini puffer...neither of them bothers my anemones ... for what it's worth.

6. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

You might have better luck if you had a clown hosted in the anemone. I don't know how you would accomplish that right off maybe by setting up a qt and putting the clowns and anenome in there together, then when they are good and hosted, put that in the tank. If there is a clown hosting in the anenome, the clown will defend the anemone and the anemone will in turn defend the clown as well. I don't know if you want to start that kind of drama in the tank......... ??

Good Luck...

7. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

I've never had problems with anemones and triggers or puffers, it is not their cup of tea. And most anemones give them a good sting. I keep a Clown Trigger and soft spine porcupine puffer for years with a Ritteri, Heteractis magnifica