Puffer with white eye

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by pmanzi, Aug 29, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pmanzi

pmanzi Astrea Snail

My Porcupine Puffer left eye has gotten a white film over it. The other eye is fine now, he seems to be eating and swimming around but not sure what to do for him. The attached pic is the best I could get in a hurry under the size limit. Any suggestions on what to do, or what it is?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Inimicus

Inimicus Astrea Snail

Has he been moved between tanks recently? Have you noticed anything he might have injured himself on in the tank. I am not sure thats pretty cloudy but i've had some puffers eyes cloudup right after a recent move between tanks.

Jason

4. pmanzi

pmanzi Astrea Snail

I just purchased him over the weekend, so he did just move tanks. I did a fresh water dip last night think it may be eye cloud. It seemed to clear up a bit for a while but this morning it is cloudy again. Not sure if it is normal or not but he is sitting on the bottom of the tank hiding in the rocks as well.

5. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

My Dr. had a puffer in his office with one cloudy, it never cleared up but seems happy.

6. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Cloudy Eye

The eye becomes cloudy almost to the point of whiteness and the fish lose vision. The causes behind this disease can vary. An increase in parasites in the aquarium is the most common cause but severe stress, old age, or malnutrition can all lead to this condition. Treating this condition requires an investigation of water quality. Once the water quality is high enough, the fish will usually recover by them selves within 1-2 weeks. Thus, it is advisable to wait for 1-2 weeks before administering antibiotics.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Is the eye looking bulged or a little puffy? I'd soak some flakes in Mardles Maracyn 1 and feed. It could be injured and as a precaution I always feed medicated food. Take a 250 mg Maracyn pill and dissolve it in 6 ozs R/O water. Let the flakes soak it up for 15 to 20 minutes then seal the rest of the medicated water and store in fridge until the next feeding. If it get worse then you may have to treat the tank. It could have been netted and had the eyes scratched or hit something in the process.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  8. Click Here!

9. pmanzi

pmanzi Astrea Snail

The other eye is now in the same condition and he is sitting on the botton of the tank. One of the LFSs staid it may be ick, but I did not think puffers got ick.
    He was not netted but he could have damaged the eyes on the LR but now that both are white I am leaning towards some kind of disease.

10. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Ok I must be wrong again Sorry for the post it will be the last one Take Care All John

11. pmanzi

pmanzi Astrea Snail

Still not sure what was going on but I came home tonight planing to do a para guard dip but the puffer was dead. Thanks for all your help.

12. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

Sorry for your loss :(