Puffer with ich

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by kathryn6, Oct 14, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kathryn6

kathryn6 Plankton

Has anyone had success with hyposalinity for ich treatment? I noticed a few white spots on one of my puffer's fins on Monday. On Tuesday I started to gradually add freshwater. I also raised the temp to 85 degrees. The puffer still only has 3 spots on his fin so the ich does not seem to have progressed. Is it safe to introduce freshwater on a daily basis? Or should I add some twice a day? I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Terry_B

Terry_B Plankton

The first thing to do is to make a probable diagnosis of the problem. White spots are not always ich. Are the spots irregular in size and shape or are they all round and close to the same size? How is the fish doing? If you want to read about treating fish with Cryptocaryon irritans (ich) then follow this link to find more info than you want.
    http://www.marineaquariumadvice.com/aquarium_fish_1.html

Cheers,
    Terry B

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Great link Terry_B! Search the site here for the last two ich threads and there are lots of links to information there as well.

5. saltyfish922

saltyfish922 Feather Duster

I had a puffer and she always had 3 spots on her one fin. It was there the day I got her and they are still there.

6. Craig Manoukian

Terry where are Parts III - V of your great article? TIA

7. Terry_B

Terry_B Plankton

8. Click Here!

9. kathryn6

kathryn6 Plankton

Thank you all for the great information. I read some information on the website that was recommended. My first thought when I saw the spots on his fins, was that it was just his markings and I might not have been very observant previously. I have had the fish about 6 weeks. On Friday morning he had six spots on his top fin and 2 spots on his bottom fin. The spots are round and approximately the same size. I am definately not sure if it is ich. The spots are only located on the puffer's fins. I had a freshwater aquarium and my fish got ich and died within a few days. This morning the puffer only has two spots on his top fin. He has been acting normal the entire time, except for Friday morning he was hiding under a rock. He has been eating and is very active lately. I have 3 other fish in the aquarium and one of the other puffers has one white spot on his fin. The other two fish are clowns and they do not have any spots. Does this sound like ich? I am beginning to think it might be something else. Thanks again for the information.

10. Terry_B

Terry_B Plankton

Hi Kathryn,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed some of the articles on my Website. I am always glad to help.
    Saltwater ich usually starts on one or two fish and spreads. It usually takes a couple of life cycles before fish start to die. They will eat normally until things get bad. It does sound like they may have ich. Do you quarnatine all your fish for 3+ weeks before adding them to your display tank? If you have a fish only tank without live rock then you can use hyposalinity right in the tank.

Cheers,
    Terry B

11. Craig Manoukian

Kathryn,

Just an observation. Puffers can get up to 12"+ as adults and the 36 gallon is much too small for two puffers long-term. Great excuse for a bigger tank, eh?

Using the 1" of adult fish per 5 gallon guideline, you would need a 120 gallon for two or a 180 gallon for three puffers.

12. kathryn6

kathryn6 Plankton

Hi Terry,
    No, I don't quarantine. :( Bad, I know. So far it is only affecting the puffer. He still only has spots on his fins. I have live rock and a starfish along with the fish. That is why I wanted to try hyposalinity. I thought this would be the best way and also less stress on the fish. Not sure if it is working. It does not seem like the conditions have gotten any worse, but they do not seem better yet either.
    The two puffers that I have, I was told that they do not get larger than a few inches. I have a Valentini and a Blue Spot. But I do eventually want to get a larger aquarium. The one I am using now is one that I had. I thought I would start with this and move up to a larger one once I make sure I can handle all of the expense and work involved in the upkeep. Thanks again for the helpful hints!

Kathryn