puffer not eating

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Amanda, Oct 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Amanda

Amanda Plankton

So I have had my porcupine puffer for a while now and havnt had any problems with him until now. He hasnt accepted food for about a week now. I am starting to worry about my lil guy. He used to eat all the time. This sounds weird but it kinda looks like he is bloated. Usually his stomach gets real big after i feed him and then the next day he is skinny again. I read somewhere that if you feed krill a lot they will eventually get tired of it and wont eat anything because nothing else tastes as good. I was wondering if that was true or not and if that could be happening to him. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i don't know anything about sw puffers. but i know my green spotted puffer *brackish puffer* is as picky as any fish can be. He's always been picky. When i first got him i was able to get him to eat dried plankton, then overtime he refused to eat that, so i tried to feed him a bunch of different things to get him to eat and all he will eat now is frozen bloodworms. I've even tried frozen brine and mysis soaked in garlic and he refused. So i'm not sure if i'm of much help but that's just my experience on my picky eater.

4. Amanda

Amanda Plankton

I've seen those at the fish store. I think they are adorable. Mine is really picky as well. Mine never did eat crabs and squid and clams like they are supposed to. lol. I love him though he is deff. my favorite fishie

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

for hard food i was able to get my puffer to eat live crickets, and surprisingly they worked great for his teeth. He wanted nothing to do with snails. I tried the frozen clams that i got at the Asian Supermarkets and all he did was push open the clam and ate meat. I also did try live crabs on him and he went after them and poked at em but didnt eat them

6. tigerlily

tigerlily Feather Duster

do you feed frozen or freeze dried krill? If you don't soak the freeze dried krill before giving it to them there is a chance they can get air in their stomach which is a bad thing and you will have to burp the puffer to get it out. Also feeding snails and crustaceans is very good for puffers, it helps keep their teeth worn down so they don't overgrow their mouth.

7. tigerlily

tigerlily Feather Duster

I also have a green spotted puffer, a figure 8 puffer, and as soon as I can get our other tank set up a porcupine puffer is goin in there lol

8. Click Here!

9. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I had one Dog Face puffer for 9 years. It was always a matter of constipation. Mine would go through a bout a couple times a year as he got older. It will work it out. Don't be alarmed if it puffs itself up real big and starts to writhe or convulse. It will do that to help itself "go" if you know what I mean.

10. Amanda

Amanda Plankton

I feed him the frozen kind from my lfs. I also buy salad shrimp from kroger cause its only a dollar. lol. I didnt know you had to soak the food. Learn something new everyday. I havnt seen mine puff up yet. My snowflake eel nips at him sometimes when he is food stealing but he just keeps swimming like he doesnt care. I was kinda hoping id get to see him expand eventually. Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully he will snap out of it.

11. Amanda

Amanda Plankton

btw

How are you supposed to burp a puffer?

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

my golden puffer is doing this right now. She went through a period without power (did not know the power strip was tripped) and found her almost dead on the bottom barly breathing.

Inwall did have to burp mine a few times when she was recovering but if it is swimming I would not do it (as it is stressful)

Goldie begs for food but then doesnt eat. This has been for a week and half at least. I have thrown in some live crabs for her to eat and she has ate them (or at least killed the fiddlers) I am going to try to get some fish line and drag the food across the water to see if she will eat it.

If not when I work at hte LFS this Friday i will pick up some shrimp for her

good luck