Psycho Yellow Eye Tang

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by karcury, Oct 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. karcury

karcury Astrea Snail

Big question regarding a bad night in the tank. First, my red flame dwarf angel was hurt and not moving well. She had been hiding out for a couple of days, so I thought she might be sick. I moved her to the refugium, but lost her anyway. My yellow eye tang was shoving her around before I moved her.

This morning the tang was eating just fine one minute, then he was dead. No warning. He had been acting kind of strange for a while (he was kind of a spaz anyway) and had been slamming his body into the back and bottom of the tank. No obvious ick, although we had an outbreak over a month ago we now have it under control.

After taking a closer look at the tank, our six-line wrasse was missing. My husband found him dead behind a coral, and pretty beat up. He was healthy and happy last night.

We think the Tang freaked out and killed them, and then died. My daughter has decided it is "mad cow" fish disease.

We have had all these fish for more than 6 months with no prior problems.

Anyone have any similar experience, or ideas on what might have happened?

Checked the water yesterday, and the parameters were all good with the exception of minor high nitrates.

:( :( :( :( :(

Didn't really like the tang, but the other two were hang-out buddies and much liked.

Thanks for any input.

2. Click Here!

3. jdrbach

jdrbach Astrea Snail

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.:cry: I also hate mysteries. You may have had another outbreak of ick. It can re-infect within 30-40 days of the last symptoms. My Kole tang used to bash himself face first into the glass every night for months before he died of ick. He wasn't scratching or "flashing" as they put it, just ramming the glass as fast as he could. Sorry I can't be of any help. I'm too new at this myself. Hang in there! Hopefully someone can give you some ideas of what's going on.

4. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

I thought that when tangs do that they see their reflection and you tangs will try to kill each other as far as the other fish I’m sorry to hear about your loss. Just a side note tangs are extremely aggressive fish and only considered reef safe because they don’t snack on coral.

My tangs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]