PSK-75 Pump Hum

Discussion in 'Eshopps Inc.' started by SirReefsAlot, May 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SirReefsAlot

SirReefsAlot Plankton

I just purhcased a PSK-75, put it in my sump and the thing hums terribbly. I removed the pump from the skimmer body and it quiets down. It seems that with no dampening the skimmer body resonates the vibrations from the pump. I even tried suspending the skimmer in my hand without letting it touch the sump and still the same noisy hum. I'm wondering if this is normal form your testing and if not, what can be done? If it is normal, do you offer some sort of bracket and suction cup system? I see that there are rails for a bracket on the back of the pump. Also, do you have plumbing if I would like to isolate the pump like this? When I purchased this from the Saltwater Store, the image that they have for the product shows the pump detached with a hose leading to the cone. This is what I though I was getting.

2. Click Here!

3. SirReefsAlot

SirReefsAlot Plankton

thanks

great customer service

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sarcasm or did they give you a solution. If you got a solution what was it?

5. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Was the impeller body vibrating? Was the cord touching something?

6. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

7. boostednlinefor

boostednlinefor Fire Worm

lol, wow.

Let it run for a few weeks. Mine made lots of noises till it got broken in. After putting a small air stone in the end of the air hose that sticks up out of the water it's nearly silent. I had some serious reservations about it at first but it's great now. It got loud at one point, but a quick cleaning cleared out all of the silt that had built up in the pump.

8. Click Here!

9. SirReefsAlot

SirReefsAlot Plankton

It has been up for about a week and a half. It isn't vibrations, it is merely the hum of the pump. It's in my cabinet inside the sump and just hums. I wouldn't complain about vibrations if it were my own fault for letting something touch up against it or vibrate on any part of the pump or body. I was just wondering if there was somthing you could do to get rid of the hum. Mostly the skimmer is pretty good, especially for the price.

10. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

i think the hum will be minimal in about 3 weeks period once your skimmer gets to be little old or should i say slimy.

11. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Agreed mine was a little noisy for the first couple days, but unless I open the cabinet I dont even notice it now.

12. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

also, make sure the skimmer is in the center of the sump rather than touching the acrylic side (just in case).