PSK-200 not foaming up. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Eshopps Inc.' started by Magnus, Sep 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dahenley

dahenley Plankton

Hello!

i have a few things for you to try and to answer.
    How did you clean the pump? (vinegar or Muratic acid?)
    Acid is the best. you can get it at any big box store and just dilute it and let the pump run in it. the acid will disolve any calcium and salt. wayyyyy better then vinegar

also, which model pump do you have? Gen 1 or Gen2?
    Gen 1 = black Gen 2 = gray (on the larger pumps only)

Have you changed food?
    i use Reef Cristals salt, and the new buckets come with free IO fish food. its a gel.
    my fish love it, but it will kill a head of foam for 12 hours +
    if your feeding this food 1-2 times a day then that could seriously hender the foam!!!!

have you done any recent water changes or have you medicated any fish or added a different brand chemical. (say you changed from Seachem to Kent or something like that?) im not saying simple calcium change could do this, but there is always a possibility.

Now, after answering all of these, turn your skimmer on, remove the venture from the pump. (un screw the Gen1 or just slip off the Gen 2)
    now, take your silicone air line, and hold one end with your hand and stick the other end just inside the pump intake. (you dont want to push it all the way into the impeller)
    if the pump starts making some amazing foam, then your venture is clogged or restricted.

a reason why you might be getting some micro bubbles going through the skimmer is because it is not getting enough air, and thus it is pulling more water. this is creating more turbulance and the bubbles have too much flow to where they can not float up. (if that makes since)

if you have a Gen1 venture, they work great, but you cant get in there remove any blockage. (or see any))
    that is why the acid does sooooo much better at cleaning. but vinegar works great as well. i dont even dilute it very much.... a gal is cheap and i stick my skimmer in the sink. my wife hates the smell of vinegar, but its only for a little while!!)

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. dahenley

dahenley Plankton

if you are kind of worried about using acid, here is a thread that shows how do to it.
    (just remember to always use Safety equipment. Eye, and hand and any other body part that might be exposed)

4. dahenley

dahenley Plankton

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I will try the acid cleaning tomorrow. I could not notice anything major to be wrong when I cleaned it, except 2 missing pins on the wheel that I broke unintentionally and a little chaeto made it in there and was tangled on the pins, but I removed all of it.
    I only used RO water with vinegar and a pipe brush to scrub, but it could be cleaned more inside. I was unaware I needed to run the pump and all skimmer setup in the solution. This will more than likely make a difference.

If the acid bath fails, I will re-inspect all parts. Is there anything in there that is at risk with the acid bath? For example, the air intake vinyl tube?

Thanks for the link. I hope this cleaning will do the trick. I'll report back tomorrow after it's done.

- Mag.

6. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Well... Now it's working ok. I did what dahenley suggested and unplugged the air intake out from the venturi and stuck it in the intake of the pump. It foamed up instantly!!! I let it run like that for about 5 minutes and plugged the air hose back on the venturi and it's still foaming up!... something tells me it was probably salt creep inside the venturi's little pipe... if I understand correctly that part stays dry at almost all times so the salt creep is a possibility.
    Now, where I get lost, is the part where I already cleaned the pump and this venturi's little air pipe as well with a pipe cleaning brush, water and vinegar.. I don't know what's going on, but it's foaming better now. Not perfect as when it was new, but better than what it was. Something tells me that it needs one of these cleaning baths and it should work as a brand new one again.

I'll report back.

7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

For the record and in case other people have this problem I'm replying the question in the quoted text in bold letters:

Thanks for all the help!!

8. Click Here!

9. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

glad it worked out and thanks dahenly for the help, your the best.

10. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

It seems that we claimed victory before we had it in our hands :(
    I woke up this morning to the same problem. I am currently running the pump by itself in a deep cooking pot with 80% vinegar and 20% water. I will leave it there for 5 or 6 hours and I'm hoping to see it foam up nicely when I hook it back up.

I'll keep everyone updated.

eshopps, How much is a replacement pump for the Gen 1 PSK200 ? Worst case scenario, could I buy a Gen2 pump and be able to hook it up to the skimmer anywhay?
    How much is a pinwheel prop replacement?

11. dahenley

dahenley Plankton

if you take the venture off, and shine a light in from the pump side, you will see about half way through is a line all the way around the pump. this is where the air comes in to the water. there is no physical way to clean it mechanically. no brush will go in the the small hole (where the air line goes) and out through the little ring inside the venture. you cant see where air comes in from the front because it necks down to create a high pressure area. after this high pressure area it creates a suction. this is where it pulls air in. i hope this makes since.

also, when you run the pumps in a solution for cleaning, i always pull the air lines off so it will pull the cleaning solution through the air hole and it will flush the salt creep and any calcium buildup.

the reason you get salt creep build up and calcium buildup in the air venture is because where the air comes in and mixes with the water, it splashes. this splash will mix with the air and thus creates salt creep within this small venture.

i will boil water, or heat up a cup of RO water in a cup in the microwave, and take it to my skimmer. then pop the silencer off and stick the air line in the hot water. it will suck it in the air line and through the venture. this will clean it. i usually try to do this when i clean my cup or every other time. and i only clean my skimmer when i do water changes. (take it out)

when you give a skimmer a acid bath or a vinegar bath, it will have to break in again. it wont take as long because there are no oils from the building of the skimmer, but there is also no slime coat on the acrylic. but it only takes a day or 2 before it works good again.

i hope this helps....

12. dahenley

dahenley Plankton

if you know anyone with a pool, ask them if they have muratic acid. and just pull your venture off your pump and stick it in a cup and let it soak in a diluted solution.

you can do this while you visit with the people. then take the water hose and hose out the cup and dilute the acid. (use lots of water)
    you can also take some baking soda and show any kids around what a volcano looks like!! (or just do it for fun!) and rinse well.

then wash the venture off in the sink and stick it back on the pump. that should clean anything out.

just another idea.