PSK-200 not foaming up. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Eshopps Inc.' started by Magnus, Sep 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

So, I had this skimmer for a good while and worked perfectly, producing a lot of skimmate.

For a few days now, it's not working properly. The pump is working and the venturi is sending bubbles in the skimmer. The water spins and ascends to the skimmer's neck, but it's not foaming up as it used to. At the top of the reaction chamber, where the bubbles should be many and foamy, it's too wet. There's no foam line anymore, but I remember that when it was working well the top had about 4 Inches of heavy foam.

I cleaned the pump, inside and out, I cleaned the elbow and poked the venturi hole where the air inputs hose connects to and nothing. I tried regulating the knob, but it doesn't help. The top is still super wet and not foamy enough.

The water isn't too clean, I can see the glass getting dirtier by the minute, so there are enough nutrients in there that the skimmer should be able to pick up if operating as it should.

Can you help me through a check list to troubleshoot this issue, please?

I should add that the water output is putting out a lot of micro bubbles that make it to the display tank, where before it didn't put any bubbles out this way. Something is not right.

I thank you in advance.

- Mag.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Did you clean the body recently? This could be the cause of it acting like it is new.

4. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Nope, the body wasn't cleaned inside. I only scraped off the spiro's off of the outside of the cylinder.

Even when it was new and not broken into, the foam production was much more than what it is now. I checked the air line and it's not obstructed by anything.

If I adjusted the knob when it was brand new, the foam would reach the top and fall in the collection cup, but now when I try to adjust it, the water comes up and out from the knob itself before it gets to the skimmer's neck.

Thanks for the help 2in10!

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

How long have you had the skimmer? Maybe the pump is going out.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Take the muffler off and see if that improves bubble production.

7. K3rack

K3rack Peppermint Shrimp

I bet the impeller in the pump is either jacked up or has a small crack. I just had mine go out on my PSK75 and Eshopps sent me a replacement the next day. Plug in the pump outside of the water and see if it vibrates funny, if so I bet that's your issue.

FWIW, my skimmer stopped sending bubbles to the top much like your issue.

Good luck!

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I tried taking the muffler off and it made no difference on the bubble production, only a little noisier. I hope I don't have to replace the pump, I've had it for 7 months approximately. I have an extra pinwheel assembly I purchased some time ago in case I need to replace mine, but I just noticed that the pinwheel is stuck to the drum and it doesn't spin like the original one I have.... I will try to swap them out to see what happens, if it doesn't work I hope it's not too late to swap it for a working pinwheel replacement.

Anything else I could try, 2in10? I appreciate your help, buddy.

- Mag.

10. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

hi, here to help. how long has this been happening assuming you cleaned your pump?

11. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

It's been doing it for about 1 week. About the same time I upgraded my overflow box also for an eshopps.

The pump is spotless inside. Never cleaned the skimmer chamber, but the bubbles aren't foaming up at the top.

Thanks for your help!

12. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

going over your comments, i wonder does it has anything with the addition of the new equipment such as the overflow box? Does anyone out there know if this is possible?

It seems everything you mentioned really point to following below:

#1, calcium built up in venturi or
    #2, air hose clogged up to prevent any air in
    #3, brand new impeller or new pump
    #4, cleaned your skimmer (but if this happen, normally it takes 3 days to start producing foams again so this is not the case).
    #5, can you check your impeller closely, normally if something or small plant get stuck on it. you will lose performance.