PSK-200, can't control air bubbles. Collection cup fills with water in seconds

Discussion in 'Eshopps Inc.' started by Magnus, Mar 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. H&K

H&K Flamingo Tongue

a brand new skimmer will do what you are saying so like eshopps said it needs to break in but you could try pulling the adjustment tube out to see is anything is in the outlet like i am doing in the pic

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

this is a good one, hey it doesn't hurt to try. if you can, the best solution is take out the collection cup and let it run for a period of time. than put the collecton cup back and see if that works or not.

Again, rest assure this is normal with a new skimmer trying to break in like H&K mentioned above.

1 person likes this.
  4. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Oh, that's good. I was about to freak out :)
    I removed the collection cup and had to leave the regulator on since I can't control the water splashing around the 10 gallon I improvised this sump with. It's just not wide enough.

I have a 30 long which I'm planing to use instead, but It's not ready yet. So I'm using this to better my water quality while waiting on the parts for the sump.
    It's amazing, but absolutely no glass shop in Knoxville, TN want to drill 1" holes for my bulk heads even though the drilled side is not tempered glass. Of that I'm sure.
    I had to order the diamond bit to do it myself. I'll have to be very careful with this. Since the bit is coming from Hong Kong, I won't have it until the 31st of march... that sucks big time since I have everything else I need for it.

As far as the break in process, what's the purpose of it? Does the skimmer have to build something up, like slime or something, before operating properly? What are we trying to accomplish, technically?

I don't mean to sound repetitive, but It would be nice if this was all explained in the eshopps website. It would take 1 hour of typing and the company would save a lot of customers from frustrating moments like this one I had. I really thought something was wrong with my brand new skimmer and my frustration started to build up even more, specially since I heard so many good things about this brand. A PDF manual with direction on how to put it together and the procedure to break it in on the website would help the users and the company as well.
    Just my 2 cents on that matter.

I do appreciate the help very, VERY much.
    +k to the people with the good will to help out.

- Mag.

5. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

that make sense, we will work on it to put it on our site in the coming days.

6. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

By the way, since I did not do the vinegar bath, which I'm assuming consists on running water with vinegar through it, how long could it take to break in this way, without the vinegar?

It's been running for 32hrs.
    If you let me know how the vinegar bath goes, I'll go get some at the store and do it, providing that it will speed up the process.

On a different note, how will I know when the break in process is completed?

Thanks,

- Mag.

7. eshopps

eshopps 3reef Sponsor

put the collection cup on and see what's the result. if the water is fill up, don't pour the water back to the sump or else is going to repeat itself.

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Also keep in mind that if yo don't have a large bio-load, there's not much for it to skim.

10. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

So where is the water supposed to go if not back in the sump? I must have misinterpreted that.
    Here's how it's set up right now, I'm doing this to better my water quality until I can finish my 30 gal sump and hook this skimmer up to it.

The whole mess:
    [​IMG]

The Skimmer as I've been running it for 36 hrs:
    [​IMG]

Note that everything is connected to the main tank and the water is circulating from sump to tank and back. I didn't think it would hurt it.

Is this a proper setup for breaking this skimmer in? If not, what do I need to change/do ?

- Mag.

Ps: Bioload is: 2 small tomato clowns, 1 baby Hippo Tang, 1 purple firefish goby, 5 coral frags, 20 blue leg hermits, 10 red leg hermits, 5 esmerald crabs, 25 nerites snails, 75 dwarf cerith snails and about 7 FL ceriths.
    I have 100+ pounds of live rock in there too.

11. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

48hrs and counting. Still no break in. Any suggestions as far as bubbles or no bubbles? Or what could speed up the process a little more. I'm going to wash it with vinegar today if I can get to the store before coming back home.

- Mag.

12. Ishymishy77

Ishymishy77 Peppermint Shrimp

your water level is set to high should only be at 8". the paperwork that did come with mine states this. try raising your skimmer 1 inch and see if does not solve the problem.